Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Lost all cue points after copying database
fonesyHome userMember since 2013
Hi I hope someone can help please. I am using VDJ 8.5 and recently copied the database.xml to an external HDD to made a backup. I did not delete the database from the VDJ folder. When I rebooted VDJ all the cue points are missing and all my songs are unplayed. I deleted the database from the VDJ folder and copied the back up to it, which has worked in the past. Still all my cue points are missing. Can any help as I have lost hours upon hours of work.

Thank you
Mike

Posté Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:14 pm
Could be that you had an instance running in the background locking the DB. Did you try a reboot?

Posté Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:15 pm
Do you mean reboot virtual DJ, if so yes, thank you

Posté Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:17 pm
I meant reboot the computer

Posté Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:20 pm
Yes just tried that still not working

Posté Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:24 pm
Can you please tell us:
1) Where are your media files located ? (Internal or External HDD)
2) The exact procedure you did in order to backup the database ?
3) You didn't get a warning that you were possibly going to overwrite files, did you ?

Posté Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:33 pm
Media is installed on external HDD
I simply dragged and dropped the database file to my external HDD
Nothing deleted and no warning, the database file stayed in the VDJ folder

Thanks for the response

Posté Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:36 pm
Ok, let me explain:

Your external HDD has a folder named "VirtualDJ" in it's root.
Inside that folder lies a "database.xml" file that holds all the information about the media songs for this drive.
This database is different from the one located inside Documents/VirtualDJ folder.
If you replaced the database on your external drive with the one from Documents/VirtualDJ then you most likely have lost all the database info about your tracks, unless you have another backup or you have used VirtualDJ's backup facility.

That's why it's critical to know which file you copied to which place..

PS: The database file inside Documents/VirtualDJ folder holds information only for you internal HDD. Not for the external.

Posté Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:41 pm
I did not replace anything on my external HDD. What is the best way to try and fix this? Thank you

Posté Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:46 pm
Then try to restore everything as it was before.
If there's a database.xml file on the root of your external hard drive try to remove it.

Posté Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:48 pm
Would dragging the correct database file back into the VDJ file on the HDD fix this ?

Posté Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 1:54 pm
If I did overwrite the database file on the HDD with the one from my documents (thinking this is perhaps what I have done) is this fixable ? I thought it should be in recycle bin. Thanks for your help

Posté Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 2:02 pm
It would only be in the recycle bin if deleted, not overwritten unfortunately.

Posté Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 2:04 pm
Thanks for everyones help. Managed to get half my cue points back from when I made correct back ups in the past. Will not be making this mistake again.

Posté Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 2:23 pm
Similar problem--Naively thinking I would backup my cue points, I copied Virtual DJ folder and pasted it onto external drive. All my media files are on desktop (internal drive). I didn't delete anything and received no message about overwrite. Now cue points gone. :-( Thanks for any help. Have rebooted, no luck.

Posté Sun 10 Sep 23 @ 2:18 pm
What were you actually trying to do?

Posté Sun 10 Sep 23 @ 2:33 pm
If as you say you COPIED not moved.. the Virtual DJ folder to another drive .. all should be unchanged on the original drive.

But if there was music on the drive you did the copy too.. then you may have written to the same Virtual DJ folder on that drive. (every drive will have a Virtual DJ folder with its database .. of the tracks of that drive, which contains cue points)

The DataBase backup process (from the menu dot) does backup all your cue points.
Can be set to create backups at set intervals.
(OPTION: automaticDatabaseBackupPeriod)

Follow PhantomDeejays awesome advice for restoring, (above in this thread)

Posté Sun 10 Sep 23 @ 3:24 pm