Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Music discussion

Sujet Find the exact BPM of you favorite song - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
First you'll have to have a good "ear". And naturally choose a song that have a false BPM found by VDJ.

1. Find the first measure of the song where the rhythm starts

2. Pause here the song and place a cue on the first beat of this measure.

3. Hit the loop 8 button and start your deck. If the BPM is not correct, the loop will cut at a wrong pos. It can be earlier than it must be, or later.

4. Edit the BPM of the song and try another value (higher if it cuts after the normal point, lower if it cuts before the out point). The out point is estimated by your ears, normally it must be ON the 9th beat from the cue.

5. With little adjustments, make your loop perfect (when your ear can't say it is a loop, the tempo have to be regular when returning at the entry point)

6. Now you have your BPM but, it is not already precise. When you are at this point, hit the loop 16 and play your cue again. The loop is longer, so you may ear the cut on the out point again. make a little adjustment like in 5. The loop must become perfect too.

7. Again, but with a 32 beats loop, and again with 64 beats loop.

8. Now your BPM is pretty correct, at .02 or .04. It's time to place the CBG. Place a CBG4 just under the first beat of the first measure (where you placed your cue). Then seek the song rapidly to the end, and look at the CBGs, they must be always under the beats.

9. If you notice that at the end of the song the CBGs have late or advance, edit the BPM and use the arrows to replace correctly the CBGs on the last beats of the song (do this action when the song is playing, so you see in real time the CBGs move to get the correct place). You have to use the BPM arrows and NOT the CBG arrows to place it.

WELL DONE the BPM of the song is calculated, AND the CBGs are correctly placed on every beats of the song (from start to end of it).

This technique doesn't work on orchestral songs that have a variable BPM, but on these you can at least try the steps 1. to 6. to get an approximative value and loop the song anyway.

I hope that was clear to understand please excuse my approximative english.

FRUiT94

Posté Fri 14 Nov 03 @ 1:26 pm
Thanks Fruit. Being a DJ that majors in Hip-Hop/R'n'B, I find this tip really helpful. Though it takes some patience and time, it's really worth all that. I've never been a beat tapping fan, but this sure beats the beat tapping. Once again Good job VDJ Team and thanks Fruit.

Posté Sun 07 Dec 03 @ 5:48 pm
Thank you for your feedback! Keep up!

Posté Sun 07 Dec 03 @ 7:00 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Great explanation fruit. I DJ hip hop live every weekend and this is pretty much what I been doing. Guess I just never took the time to explain to anyone. Good Job !

Posté Wed 07 Jan 04 @ 2:17 am
Guys-i think dj is a kind of musician, so you need a good ear anyway to be a great dj.The time when both songs are played together is less then 30 sec, so time spent on this instruction is longer then just trying to make tempos near perfect and live correction.You have visualisation of your songs-one on another! You see (even when your ears are "closed")when the beets or other characteristic points are not together.

Posté Sun 01 Feb 04 @ 6:47 pm
Butcher1

Read my first post correctly from the beginning:

"First you'll have to have a good "ear". And naturally choose a song that have a false BPM found by VDJ. "

The thechnique needs a good ear to set the out-loop point so what is your point? When I have a song that was miscalculated by VDJ, my skills and ears help me to correct and adjust. Sometimes I am on my computer and I spend time to adjust all the bpm's since I use to ear a lot of RnB and rap.
This work helps me for later sessions, it will be easier for me to mix. when you spend all your time to nudge in live, I 'm just choosing my next songs.

Because I am a "kind of musician", I can do this.

I don't see your point.

FRUiT94

Posté Mon 02 Feb 04 @ 12:34 pm
Another technique for RnB songs

Try to multiply the bpm by 1,5 it sometimes works.

FRUiT94

Posté Tue 03 Feb 04 @ 3:53 pm
hey fruit
ur method is exactly what vdj needs to make it perfect but i'm guessing it takes ages,,,,,, and where do u edit the bpm?

and someone was talking about tappin ,,,,,, can u do that with vdj and how thnx

dj smokey .....

Posté Fri 06 Feb 04 @ 4:19 am
Locatre the number of bpm on the vdj skin, right click that and a window will pop up to allow you to adjust your bpm's.

Posté Fri 06 Feb 04 @ 5:24 am
Smokey

Another way : find your song in the browser, rightclick on it and choose "edit bpm". There you can even beattap any song.

FRUiT94

Posté Fri 06 Feb 04 @ 11:48 am
found it
cool thanx........
i use vdj everyday and i havent seen this b4
thanx for the help

Posté Sat 07 Feb 04 @ 2:27 am
This is one of the best mixingprograms ever made

Posté Wed 31 Mar 04 @ 6:11 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Question: I subscribe to a couple of promo music services that supply accurate bpm info with the discs.

I always scan for gain anyway, but when I try to enter the bpm through edit I sometimes get two different windows that open.
One window allows me three options with tabs. The other is a single small window that has a , X/2 and 1/2. When I try to type in the bpm value and click ok it wipes it off the data base listing leaving it a blank field. Than I have to rescan and then it's back, but wrong.

The biggest problem is now getting the bpm window open that will allow me to at least tap out the beat. but I can't seem to get that to open.

Any thoughts?

Posté Sun 04 Apr 04 @ 12:45 pm
Hello,

I think you should report in the bug section.

FRUiT94

Posté Sun 04 Apr 04 @ 9:51 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
That option panel only opens if the song is actually playing.
Sounds like you might have a bit of a bug tho. Even in the smaller edit bpm panel that opens when the song is not playing, you should be able to edit the bpm by typing it in without problem.

Posté Mon 05 Apr 04 @ 12:34 am
I downloaded a program that automatically finds the BPM for you, but how do you use it ? It's that program that just had a black screen, and you have a choice between three numbers.

Posté Sun 08 Aug 04 @ 8:23 am
What is a CBG?

Posté Fri 17 Sep 04 @ 7:28 pm
CBG = Computed Beat Grid... This is all the small squares under the waveform, that represent all the beats, as calculated by VirtualDJ, for your song. VirtualDJ bases it's beat-aware algorithms on this, so it is important that it is right with the song ;)

macourteau

Posté Fri 17 Sep 04 @ 8:38 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
hey fruit : are you crazy ???
I have 25.000 songs
Pcdj has a good BPM detection
Why we need 5 minutes for each song for detected the correct BPM (with ears) ????
This is a normal ???
I hope that in the future VDJ can detect the correct Bpm

Sorry for my english

Posté Wed 13 Oct 04 @ 11:37 am
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
If you want to know the correct BPM of a song ...scan it with Pcdj ... put the values on paper and then go to VDJ and copy the bpm for each song

Posté Wed 13 Oct 04 @ 11:41 am
50%