Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Tidal Stems coming back
dennusbHome userMember since 2015
Hi,

Tidal is brining back stems and i was wondering when that will be re-enabled in VirtualDJ?

Posté Wed 27 Mar 24 @ 7:24 am
The statement Tidal released some time ago gives the date as April 10th.

Posté Wed 27 Mar 24 @ 8:06 am
I wouldn't give them any money as they are clearly using this as an excuse to rob djs!!

Posté Wed 27 Mar 24 @ 4:25 pm
You consider less than a dollar per day for access to 100 million tracks to be robbery?

Posté Wed 27 Mar 24 @ 4:27 pm
Yes I do.

Its no secret that they have lost a ton of money, and the way they went about this was super shady!!

There's enough corporate greed, we don't need the little guy (i.e YOU) trying to defend them smh....

And this just goes to show you cant trust streaming, they can pull and do whatever they want whenever they want.

Posté Wed 27 Mar 24 @ 4:51 pm
Super shady? Where are you getting this information?

My understanding of it is:
One or more of the companies/artists who supply Tidal were unhappy with stems being available to DJs, so asked Tidal to remove that capability, which they did. In response to customer feedback, Tidal have now negotiated a new deal with those suppliers to allow DJs to have stems again, plus offline storage.

Doesn't seem shady to me.

I don't know about you, but I'm old enough to remember what I had to pay for vinyl and CDs back when the only way was to buy it.......and I'm very grateful now to have access to way more music for a fraction of what it used to cost me every week.

Posté Wed 27 Mar 24 @ 5:18 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
We don't know what will be offered from the dj package, sure stems & cache, but how much of the library? that's yet to be seen.

Was the price hike shady? IMO not shady just the usual enshittification, start up offers a good service at a good price, once a proportion of the market has been captured then increase profit any way possible, even at the cost to the quality of the service.

Time will yet tell if it's still value for money, on paper it looks like it will be, but as a customer it doesn't feel good to be charged double what you were paying last month, even if it is still good deal.

Would a dj use the service more than a usual user? probably not, some usual users could stream all day every day, but is the service more valuable to dj's? Yes absolutely, so they charge accordingly.

Posté Wed 27 Mar 24 @ 5:45 pm
Library restriction (if any) usually works the other way around - pay less, get less.

I know Amazon do that, but I think they're the only ones.

Quality is what usually takes a hit. Pay less, get lower bit rates.

I think it's a shame that today some people consider music to be almost worthless. I guess the likes of Spotify giving free access didn't help.

N.B. Beatport is $29.99 per month for top quality + offline storage.

Beatsource Pro+ $34.99 ditto

Posté Wed 27 Mar 24 @ 6:02 pm
Personally I'm not a fan of any of these streaming services for many reasons.

We need the good old days back :)

Posté Wed 27 Mar 24 @ 6:15 pm
Hehe, look at all those lovely low bit rates!

It's those kind of services which are to blame for "Nelson Mandela" effects like this:

Posté Wed 27 Mar 24 @ 6:46 pm
I been trying to figure out why I cant use them! So the stems feature is not working if you're using tidal??

Posté Thu 28 Mar 24 @ 3:54 am
Yes.. almost 6 months.. since the beginning of Oct 2023.

Similar thread, that may be of interest:
https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/254727/VirtualDJ_Technical_Support/Tidal_HIFI_plus_subscription.html?page=1

PS
I am very happy with Tidal, once they allow stems again.
And as, they now have unlimited offline caching. Highest quality tracks, with lighting fast, download speeds. What's not to LOVE.

The new DJ pricing will be the same as the old, HI-FI Plus plan.. which had the the higher quality (lossless) streaming... now it has just been given a new name... DJ Plan. (or additional plan for DJs) again now being the same price.. so all is great !
And assume, they can tell the artists, that they are receiving more from DJs, so its a win-win.

Really the change in pricing for Tidal is that everyone else will have get a price reduction (or quality increase)
IE: those NON-DJs with old HI-FI Plus accounts will get price reduction ... and those NON-DJs with the standard HI-FI plan will get a quality boost for free.

as locodog has mentioned.. its not till we see it fully implemented will one know if there will be library restrictions, by artists, for the DJ -stems plan....
or what other additional goodies they may include for DJs.

Would love to have better curation of tracks, and with more detailed meta data.
And better search features, such as:
1) allowing for more "record pool" like, searches ... by year, or bpm, better genre classification, etc
2) more forgiving searches.. allowing the word "feat." or "ft." to in the search .. or both artists etc
3) allow for more returned search results (think now limited to 50, where beatport returns 100)
to mention a few.

Posté Thu 28 Mar 24 @ 4:24 am
I signed up for Tidal's Hi-Fi Plus Plan (£19.99) this week. I have a 30th birthday gig on Saturday and another gig in a few weeks, so, I thought the Hi-Fi Plus Plan is worthwhile. I carry 50k of music and music videos on an SSD, but with 30-year-olds you never know what they will request, best be prepared. I'm not bothered about stems, but I like the Offline Caching. I don't know if they have Wi-Fi at the venue, I may have to hotspot from my phone if I need to use Tidal.

I bought a Numark Mixstream Pro Go last summer which I've never used at a gig yet. It has all the streaming services built in including Tidal. If I use VirtualDJ with it I have Tidal in VDJ too. I may take it along this time as a backup.

Main System Specs
M1 MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2022), Apple Silicon M1 Pro, 16gb, 500 gb SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4, VirtualDJ v2024-m Early Access b8044.
External 2tb Crucial X9 SSD formatted APFS containing 50k Music & Video databases.
Main Controller - Denon MC7000,
Backup Controller - Numark Mixstream Pro Go, OS enginedj 3.4.0

Posté Thu 28 Mar 24 @ 10:11 am
What I didn't know until recently is that apparently the Tidal offline caching we've had in VDJ for a while now is a beta test before they introduce it to other platforms.

Posté Thu 28 Mar 24 @ 10:42 am
Yes, VDJ has had, unlimited, Tidal offline caching, for 6 M.. and assumed was also, available on all DJ software.
Wow !

Posté Thu 28 Mar 24 @ 10:52 am