Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Gain levels
I realise this may have been covered a thousand times, but the search only comes up with the same 15 questions and a myriad of answers.

What would my best setting for mixed 70's to 2020s? I accept that the audio range is different.

I was in radio 20 years ago and we used expanders and compressors, but is -6 dB good enough?

It works ....ok.... but not 100%. Are there any other tricks up your sleeve?

Thanks

Mike

Posté Wed 01 May 24 @ 11:43 am
There is no "best setting" it depends on your files, sound interface and the systems you are putting the sound through.

Personally I use ZeroDB at -3 and autogain at auto.

There is the "odd" track that may sound louder or quieter but in the main it works great for me.

Posté Wed 01 May 24 @ 11:53 am
You don't mention what the questions or answers were, or exactly what you mean by "not 100%" - but because VirtualDJ can host VST plugins, the world is your lobster when it comes to compressors/limiters/maximizers.

One popular choice around these parts is LoudMax https://loudmax.blogspot.com/

Posté Wed 01 May 24 @ 12:17 pm
Software "AutoGain" does a far superior work of what expanders/compressors did 20 years ago on radio stations.

Expanders/Compressors were used in order to somehow bring analog audio to "about the same level" in real time.

AutoGain does the same, but better. AutoGain has the advantage that it can compute the overal loudness of a track before hand. Therefore it can apply a gain correction on the track to make it sound "about the same level" without destroying/altering it's dynamics as expanders/compressors did.

So, if the question really is "how to make everything sound about the same level", then "AutoGain" is your answer.

Yes, you will hear some differences between songs. Yes, some modern songs may "sound" more loud than others and some old songs may "sound" more quiet than others.
However the difference in perceived loudness, even in extreme cases, is not that big. It's smaller of what would have been a "perfect result" from a fine tuned expander/compressor 20 years ago.

Therefore, IMHO it doesn't worth the trouble to alter/destroy the dynamics of tracks just to "squeeze" a little more "similarity" to audio levels. Especially if you consider that it's the old tracks that will suffer more from this approach. Modern music production is already overcompressed. So, an extra compressor cannot do much. However, an extra compressor can work "fine" with older tracks that are not overcompressed and have wide dynamic ranges.
The problem is, once you try to compress them to squeeze some extra "loudness" you loose the dynamic range and the character of those songs that we all love. And, personal opinion, in order to make everything "about the same" you degrade some of your material, instead of "upgrading" some.
In other words, you make good quality* songs sound less good, in order to match modern bad quality* songs.
* The term quality here is used to describe the overall production quality of the track. Not it's audio properties.

Posté Thu 02 May 24 @ 7:31 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Software "AutoGain" does a far superior work of what expanders/compressors did 20 years ago on radio stations.

Expanders/Compressors were used in order to somehow bring analog audio to "about the same level" in real time.

AutoGain does the same, but better. AutoGain has the advantage that it can compute the overal loudness of a track before hand. Therefore it can apply a gain correction on the track to make it sound "about the same level" without destroying/altering it's dynamics as expanders/compressors did.

So, if the question really is "how to make everything sound about the same level", then "AutoGain" is your answer.

Yes, you will hear some differences between songs. Yes, some modern songs may "sound" more loud than others and some old songs may "sound" more quiet than others.
However the difference in perceived loudness, even in extreme cases, is not that big. It's smaller of what would have been a "perfect result" from a fine tuned expander/compressor 20 years ago.

Therefore, IMHO it doesn't worth the trouble to alter/destroy the dynamics of tracks just to "squeeze" a little more "similarity" to audio levels. Especially if you consider that it's the old tracks that will suffer more from this approach. Modern music production is already overcompressed. So, an extra compressor cannot do much. However, an extra compressor can work "fine" with older tracks that are not overcompressed and have wide dynamic ranges.
The problem is, once you try to compress them to squeeze some extra "loudness" you loose the dynamic range and the character of those songs that we all love. And, personal opinion, in order to make everything "about the same" you degrade some of your material, instead of "upgrading" some.
In other words, you make good quality* songs sound less good, in order to match modern bad quality* songs.
* The term quality here is used to describe the overall production quality of the track. Not it's audio properties.

Thank you for a great answer and it's where I am at the moment. Autogain and -6. What I meant by "not 100% is just what you said. Yes, the dynamic range is so far off it does a great job.

Thanks again

Posté Thu 02 May 24 @ 5:40 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
There is no "best setting" it depends on your files, sound interface and the systems you are putting the sound through.

Personally I use ZeroDB at -3 and autogain at auto.

There is the "odd" track that may sound louder or quieter but in the main it works great for me.

Thank you mate, I tried -3 and -6 and it's really a toss up.

I don't want to kill the dynamic range of modern tracks for the sake of a few "dead" 70s tracks.

Thanks for your help.

M

Posté Thu 02 May 24 @ 5:42 pm
groovindj wrote :
You don't mention what the questions or answers were, or exactly what you mean by "not 100%" - but because VirtualDJ can host VST plugins, the world is your lobster when it comes to compressors/limiters/maximizers.

One popular choice around these parts is LoudMax https://loudmax.blogspot.com/

Very very interesting!!! I did not know that, I'm going to have a play.

Much appreciated!

M

Posté Thu 02 May 24 @ 5:43 pm
Thank you fellas , extremely helpful responses!

Posté Thu 02 May 24 @ 5:43 pm