Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Fixing the play button on Hercules Console

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

KillarHome userMember since 2004
Hello all you virtual Djs.

*This is more of an instruction than a request.* Slightly long but worth a read.

To all Hercules DJ console users, I am sure that most of you have experienced problems when using the play buttons on the console. They just do not work that well.

On my console, I have to hit that button to get the track to play. Sometimes it just doesn't work at all and the song I wanted to mix has just gone out of it's proper timeframe. Really annoying.

Well I have found a good method to solve this but it does involve dismantling the console into pieces. I hope I am not repeating a post that somebody else did on this forum but here's what you do.

Take the console apart . Also careful when taking the outer casing apart as there are electronic boards on both parts of the casing (connected together by a plug which can be taken out).

Take out all the knobs from the front of the console (eq, volume & crossfader), they can be simply pulled out. Dont worry about the jog wheel and the mouse, that needs to be left as it is. Also unscrew the six screws located next to both the volume controls and the crossfader.

Look inside the casing and take out the electronic board that reacts to all the buttons on the console (there are a fair few screws to undo). (Note: there are two screws inside that have glue on them but it can be taken off easily)

Locate the rubber play buttons. Then take them out and look for the hole in the centre of each button.
This hole is designed to let an LED through so the buttons glow once pressed. However, these holes were not deep enough to accommodate for the LED once the button is pressed. That is, the LED itself is stopping you from pushing the play button fully.

Therefore the depth of hole needs to be expanded. I recommend using a drill with a 6mm drill bit. You don’t have to be too gentle as the material is fairly strong but I do recommend taking out the hammer setting from the drill and having a medium torque setting. Don’t drill too far through, stop once the base of the hole changes colour to a darker shade of white.

That is it. Put it back together and try it out. I just did this about an hour ago and it works really well. It's so much easier to use now. No force required.

Failing this, I have also discovered that the conductive material on each button (looking like black circles which are used to make a connection on the electronic board) have really bad conductivity and could be modified by gluing a piece of aluminium foil onto each bit of the conductive material. This is not tested through but it should also drastically improve the response on the console.

Phew..that is it. Hope it helps anybody.

Take Care
Davor

Posté Sat 15 Oct 05 @ 8:36 pm
Hello there.

Ive just followed these instructions in a hope to cure the same prob i was having and.....

IT BLOODY WORKS!!

Thank you Killar! It was a breeze to do and the result is a perfect button working console!

May i add one thing, while you got the console apart it is a good idea to give the black contacts underneath the buttons a light wipe with some methylated spirits and also a light wipe over the metal contacts that they touch on the electrical board inside. It will do no harm to the board itself as long you use a lightly damped methylated spirit tissue to do it. Hey presto! You have a console with buttons that work very well

Thanks for you time people.
bye bye!

Posté Tue 15 Nov 05 @ 9:47 pm
Works a treat...top man...

Posté Tue 29 Nov 05 @ 12:34 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)