Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet mp3 library management issues -- a possible solution

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

snookyHome userMember since 2004
I like the Virtual DJ software--it's got a lot of really cool features and really "feels" good when scratching. The biggest problem I find with the software solutions is that, even though they've freed us from having to cart around cases CDs or Vinyl by allowing one to store thousands of songs on our computers, finding that music is near impossible since the library management is sub par. The DJ software that I have come across that has the best music library management is Native Instruments's Traktor--and it even can read in the iTunes music library.

Unfortunately the Virtual DJ music library demands that you rename all your files to it's naming convention and I doubt that most people dump 22,000+ songs into one directory. I found that there *IS* a solution to this problem. Now that Virtual DJ supports drag and drop, just fire up a copy of iTunes alongside Virtual DJ. Now you have the mp3 library management you've always wanted AND you can drag and drop tracks from your iTunes playlist right onto one of the Virtual DJ turntables. Now you can browse by genre, do searches, and build your playlists, and even have iTunes manage your music directory--all of which is too difficult to do currently in Virtual DJ. And if you ever need to move your music from one laptop to the next, all you do is copy over your iTunes Music folder and all is solved.

It's not the prettiest of solutions, but it is one that can work. The other solution would be to invest in a different software program until Virtual DJ has a better mp3 library management solution.

Posté Sun 16 May 04 @ 9:57 am
He's right. I have noticed that there is NO 'Genre' field in VDJ record case. Any way to get this to show up?

Posté Sun 02 Jan 05 @ 6:56 pm
My advice:
Create a folder _Genres, in the root of your hard drive. Due to the _ this folder will be displayed at the top. Create sub folders for each genre you would like to store songs in. Like House, dance, 70sDisco. Create short cuts to songs in this folder.
In this case you dont have to store your songs on more than 1 location. Your (genre) knowledge is also not stored in id3 tags. ID3 tags are not visable without a player like Winamp. A friend of mine cleaned up his tags with a tagger. This tool only should update his Artis and Track data, but cleared also his genre data.....
The shortcuts could be easily backed up while they are less than 1k each.
Ewout

Posté Mon 03 Jan 05 @ 12:34 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)