Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Is LPCM the same as PCM

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I was using DVD Decrypter to rip some PO DVD's when i noticed in:

Tools > Settings > Stream Processing

there is a check box for "convert PCM to .wav"

I know that the audio for PO DVD's is 2-channel LPCM @ 48HZ. Will this option convert the audio portion of the ripped .vob into 44.1HZ wav instead of 48HZ LPCM?

What is the difference between PCM and LPCM?

Thanks
Shawn

Posté Wed 22 Mar 06 @ 10:48 pm
313ctroHome userMember since 2005
From Wiki....

"Linear Pulse Code Modulation (or LPCM) is a format that is a popular choice in music production. It can have up to 8 channels of audio at 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling frequency and 16, 20 or 24 bits per sample. It has a maximum bit rate of 6.144 MB/s.

The format, without compressing the sound data, simultaneously samples and captures analog signals and transforms them into digital signals. The uncompressed digital audio is the same format as what is used for music CDs. LPCM has been defined as a part of the DVD standard, but most average DVD players only support 48 kHz/16-bit capability. Only relatively more expensive players have built-in 96 kHz/24-bit capabilities.

To start enjoying the benefits of 24-bit/96 kHz LPCM audio, you will need to make sure you have the right hardware to support it. For the PC, you will need to have a sound card that fully supports 24-bit/96 kHz LPCM. In addition to that, the DVD movie you are playing has to be recorded in 24-bit/96 kHz LPCM format."

Posté Thu 23 Mar 06 @ 12:20 am
Thanks for the information, but it doesn't answer my questtion. Is there a difference between LPCM and PCM? or are they the same thing?

Posté Thu 23 Mar 06 @ 1:56 am
shawnweber:

What I Know is that DVD-Audio discs use LPCM to achieve sample rates higher than CDs using PCM audio. The sound is not always in 5.1 suround al the time. LPCM has a range of Mono too 5.1 channels. There is much to the DVD-Audio format though, if you want to know more to respect you can check this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio#DVD-Audio , well the main difference between these 2 formats is that LPCM is for DVD audio discs and PCM only forr audio discs, I hope it helps

Posté Thu 23 Mar 06 @ 2:55 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)