Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet AGC - Always 0 db

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

kokaiPRO InfinityMember since 2005
does setting the Auto Gain to "always 0db" maintains the same volume level? if not what does it do?

if not why there is no always -4db? if I set it to always match I have to adjust the first song to -4db for best sound quality. the software should do it automatically.

Ziv

Posté Sun 09 Apr 06 @ 10:58 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Setting the Auto Gain to "always 0db" would in theory, prevent the sound from saturating. But when the gain is at 0db it does sometimes saturate.

That's why the best setting is to set the Auto Gain at "always match" and then get the gain of your first track to -2db (or -4db in your case).

I think it has been asked for in the New features forum, for a slider to set the default gain the software will always apply.

Posté Sun 09 Apr 06 @ 11:23 pm
.... and to do that

First change the settings in VDJ to "always match" It would help here if you close and reload the program so the setting STICKS. Then, load up your first track "xyz by PDQ" wait for it to fully load, then grab the gain knob in the middle area for the deck it is on and adjust it UP or DOWN to -4 or whatever. Now load the second track and it should maintain the same OVERALL level...

Keep in mind that if you are loading a track and start to play it, "ALWAYS MATCH" levels will be adjusted to whatever the level is when you start playing the track... so if, "ABC by UB2" is loading and you get impatient and start playing before it finishes loadind, you could end up with an audio level of +1 or -20 on the following track because it will want to load up and match ABC... the matching engine is disengaged when you start playing the track.

I have seen it FINISH loading (while playing) and then DROP or GAIN in volume, and this doesn't sound good either. one of the above has to do when you load a second song after ABC.

Posté Mon 10 Apr 06 @ 2:41 pm
kokaiPRO InfinityMember since 2005
this is not good - VDJ should have a slider to set the gain of the first song - if everyone says -4db is the best setting why we need to set it every time.

Posté Mon 10 Apr 06 @ 5:05 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Actually in Virtual DJ 3.x the best setting for sound quality would be to turn auto gain off, let the songs gains remain as they are within the software,and adjust at the mixer like you would when using CD's for example. It cuts out the manipulation and prevents artefacts that the insoftware gain currently produces.

It's common knowledge the sound engine is going to be new in version 4, so let's hope the gain detection/adjustment is better and more accurate ;).

The feature you ask for is quite petty imo, but I don't disagree, it would be a nice option to have, but I don't see how adjusting one songs gain before you commence a set/mix warrants a post about it being a problem.

Posté Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 5:49 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)