Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Screen going blank with VDJ [Fixed] - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

When I first started using VDJ, the program worked flawlessly--I absolutely loved it! Unfortunately, I just recently started having the same problem that so many others seem to have encountered...the blank screen! Now, why would everything work perfectly for a few months and then start having problems? I realized the other day that I started having problems only after a Windows update! Could there be something with these updates that are a trigger for the software problem? Unfortunately, I have no idea what the updates were, but I'm pretty sure one of them had to do with video.

I guess nobody figured out the problem yet? I've got some very big gigs coming up and would prefer to have VDJ up and running the whole time as opposed to having to resort to PCDJ FX...

Posté Sat 24 Jun 06 @ 6:33 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
this problem has been discussed over and over again, it has to do with screen resolution.

If you are using the defualt skin you must set it to 1024x768@60hz

or use a skin that was made for your screen resolution.

Posté Sun 25 Jun 06 @ 3:05 am

Posté Sun 25 Jun 06 @ 6:14 pm
My screen is at 1024 x 768 and I still get occasional dropouts where it's playing nicely, then BANG, straight to desktop, no recovery options or anything, the music stops and I'm on desktop. I keep a backup dj dvd player in my system, at gigs it's permanently switched on with a disk in and paused, when i get the crash I just hit play on the dvd to avoid the uncomfortable silence. Please don't say it's resources as this is a VERY high spec machine, P4 3 gig, 2 gig DDR, radeon 512 meg mem vid card, gigaport AG sound, DAC3 etc etc. There IS a problem for some users and it crashing to desktop and to be honest, I still don't think the real solution has been found.

Posté Sun 25 Jun 06 @ 7:26 pm
TopHouse, I've only ever had programs crash to desktop when there's been a cpu or ram error. Usually during a crash you get the windows error dialogue but when your cpu or ram isn't working correctly it will crash straight to desktop. On my machine this was caused by the following things:

1) RAM timings too low (i.e. too fast)
2) FSB too high, running CPU and RAM beyond specification
3) CPU temperature too high as a result of voltage increase
4) Not enough voltage being supplied to my RAM

-) To a lesser extent, seasonal changes, temperatures increase by a lot in the summer

What I found was a good way to find when my system was stable was to run the In-Place Large FFT's tortue test of Prime95. Usually the program would crash to desktop after two hours, eventually I managed to hit the sweet spot on my PC (helped that I reapplied the Thermal Paste on my CPU with Arctic Silver 5 and bought a better cooler) and could run the torture test for more than 10 hours completely stable; since then no programs or games crash to desktop.

Another program which you should try is Memtest86 to test your memory modules.

Posté Sun 25 Jun 06 @ 7:40 pm
VDJ crashing and the screen going out are two seperate issues. The probelm with the screen flashing is pure and simple screen res. If you have to max your skin you might have problems. Use a skin that fits your screen resoultion and you'll have no problems.

Posté Mon 26 Jun 06 @ 12:53 am
Andrew87 wrote :

1) RAM timings too low (i.e. too fast)
2) FSB too high, running CPU and RAM beyond specification
3) CPU temperature too high as a result of voltage increase
4) Not enough voltage being supplied to my RAM

-) To a lesser extent, seasonal changes, temperatures increase by a lot in the summer

What I found was a good way to find when my system was stable was to run the In-Place Large FFT's tortue test of Prime95. Usually the program would crash to desktop after two hours, eventually I managed to hit the sweet spot on my PC (helped that I reapplied the Thermal Paste on my CPU with Arctic Silver 5 and bought a better cooler) and could run the torture test for more than 10 hours completely stable; since then no programs or games crash to desktop.

Another program which you should try is Memtest86 to test your memory modules.

1, 2 and 3 certainly don't apply in this case, the system is in an Avrio 19" x 3u rack with 2 x 92 mm fans blowing through the HD's and across the CPU, and an Antec 550W smartpower twin fan PSU.

CPU is Arctic Silvered, timings are all right, CPU runs at well below temp spec.

Everything in the system is quality, no corner cutting, the memory is Corsair, now I do know that some Corsair memory can be a little power hungry, prefering to have 2.8V as opposed to the spec. You MAY have hit on something there and I'll run memtest and post my results here. If all passes then I'll up the mem voltage to 2.8 and give VDJ a good run. Again posting specs.

As an aside, I've been building PC's for around 20 years, have had several articles printed in UK PC magazines including once being featured in the (now discontinued) UK PC magazine "PC Extreme" where I was, for a time, number 1 in their chart for the fastest overclocked air cooled home machine in the country! Only beaten by people using vapourchill units!

I included the above to illustrate that although there are some with not a lot of PC knowledge in here, I'm not one of them, but to be fair, there are more than a few VDJ users who have the 'crash to desktop' issue. Don't get me wrong, I like the software and still think it's the best on the market at what it does, and hopefully the imminent V4 will iron out the wrinkles, although something I'm not comfortable with is keep using update files, I for one will be asking for a V4 full install file when the time comes.

Posté Mon 26 Jun 06 @ 10:17 am
Just to clarify....my problem is with the screen going blank--not a system crash. The music will keep on playing--and if I have another track cued up, I can still mix it. Unfortunately, I'm not able to choose another song due to the fact that I can't see what's on the screen if it's blank.

I've adjusted my desktop as Cyder instructed and am going to give it a good run today and will use the setup on Thursday. If all goes well, I'll be fine of the weekend. If not, it's PCDJ again until the problem is solved. Though I'd much rather use VDJ, it's gone from being very reliable to problematic in a matter of weeks! I really hope this issue is diagnosed asap if the above adjustment doesn't do the trick... :(

Posté Mon 26 Jun 06 @ 7:06 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
enable multi instance and if it happens again just bring up another instance of virtual dj ...(till you get the problem resolved)

Posté Mon 26 Jun 06 @ 7:46 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I just have to write my experience here...

I had private pary 3 weeks ago and at the begining of it happened to me the same. I played the song when screen went blank. Just black color. Music was playing and i could hear next song in headphones. I finished that track and restart the computer and it was fine till end of the party.

It happened to me first time in 3 years of use VDJ!
I don't know why.

So if anybody know why, please write here. I didn't make any differences in preferences in windows or VDJ. I have optimized my system and i've never had problems using VDJ with my laptop. It doesn't seem to me to be important to write this in bug foum, i just wonder why it happened.

It is possibly because of temperature? Because i know that at party at the begining i didn't have my laptop 1 cm from table like usual. It has small legs to put it up for about 1 cm because it has fan at the bottom of it.

Posté Mon 26 Jun 06 @ 7:55 pm
hmm...no hibernation,? screen saver ,? or any monitor off features? whats going on in the second monitor output?

Posté Mon 26 Jun 06 @ 7:58 pm
i have disabled everything like this in windows (read my guide for optimizing the system) :)
And it was main laptop monitor and i didn't have nothing connected to second monitor out.

Posté Mon 26 Jun 06 @ 8:04 pm
attach a second display and try to make the problem happen see if both screens go out try it on clone

Posté Mon 26 Jun 06 @ 8:06 pm
try to make problem happen? HOW? :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I didn't do anything and i don't want to spend few days by laptop and just doing nothng that play 2 songs in VDJ :)))

It is not problem for me as it happened to me first time and till then i had 2 parties without problems and without any change in windows or VDJ. So advice could be for writer of this topic :)

Posté Mon 26 Jun 06 @ 8:12 pm
I think i found it... It was very possibly my resolution. Just use resolution of screen the same as VDJ skins and you shouldn't have problems. I am not 100% sure, but last 3 weeks i tkink i've been using 1024x768 and it was ok after black screen. Maybe i was using more that this at the day of black screen, who knows? :)

Posté Mon 26 Jun 06 @ 9:18 pm
This just started to happen for about 10-15 users ....

Why?? why now?

Is there some Windows update that makes some powermanagement or make monitor loose signal on some systems?

Very few experience this, extremely few... But never the less, a HUGE problem.

Hope we can get to the bottom of this quick, what it can be....
I helped DJ Angels, and we updated ALL drivers on her PC, all chipset drivers, USB .. the LOT!
And she never had the problem again...

So, try update ALL hardware drives. I really think this problem has something to do with a recent Windows update, that makes you need a driver update too

Posté Mon 26 Jun 06 @ 9:54 pm
well.. the piont is that last time i updated my windows was at the date of SP2 released. so i don't think it could be the problem.. ok i don't had this problem in last 3 weeks using fixed resolution... but maybe it is windows update, really don't know.

Posté Mon 26 Jun 06 @ 9:58 pm
what are ur video cards? brand, slot?

Posté Mon 26 Jun 06 @ 10:15 pm
philly this problem is related to laptops i've not had one case on desktops.

Posté Mon 26 Jun 06 @ 10:37 pm
I was hoping so too...
But Sizzle has the same.. on a DESKTOP

Posté Mon 26 Jun 06 @ 10:38 pm
67%