Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Beatlock Question

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I don't know how i'm gonna put this. Is there a way to use beatlock in a way whereby it actually locks to the mix i've already put together manually, not to what the VDJ engine thinks is best. Cause it's hardly ever right. What I mean is after i blend in the two songs, if i hit beatlock, it usually changes the beatmatch I had already put in together manually. Is there a way to change this or is that just the way the beatlock function works? I hope u understand what i'm trying to say. I'd just like it to lock the beats not to try and match them up.

Posté Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 1:27 am
Nope

Beatlock uses CBG's... (computer beat grid)... those small dots under the beat peaks in the waveform.

For beatlock to work, you need to have perfect bpm PLUS adjust all cgb's to be perfectly aligned under each beat.

For steady 4/4 music, VDJ does this automatically.

For modern urban music, hiphop etc, Virtual DJ have a harder time, might get the bpm right most of the time, but not the cgb's. Just move the dots under the beats, and beatlock works:)

hope that helps

Posté Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 1:35 am
Yeah, It's not what I wanted to hear but it explains it well. Beatlock is really of no use to newer hip hop/ urban music Dj's. It's only works good on some songs. I have too many songs to start moving dots. Thanks man.

Posté Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 1:55 am
All the "automation features" are great, but there is still no substitute for actually learning how to mix manually and doing it once in awhile to keep in practice for that 70% of the time bpm's don't scan accuratley, the edits in the song are off, the beat grids are off, etc.

Posté Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 12:55 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
A technique that I have found effective and fast, assuming you know how to manually beatmatch, is to manually beatmatch, then use shortcuts to adjust the cbg's and line them up (thanks rune for the instructions on shortcuts :) Then hit beatlock and go and have a conversation or drink, etc. This is a very fast way to beatmatch without having to spend hours making the bpm's and cbg's perfect. What I wish is that VDJ, similar to what Mantahoe is saying I think, would then completely lock the CBG's together after they are lined up manually. Although it is usually just a quick adjustment the CBG's/Beats still drift a touch using this method after 30 seconds or so. btw, that's why I'm a little bummed the new skin doesn't have a beatlock button.

Posté Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 3:23 pm
@djej, so what you're saying is that you manually use shortcuts to adjust cbg's on the fly, like during a live set? This I have to see. I manually do all my beatmatching, i'm used ot it. I used to use the good old vynils, so right now i'm just trying to milk all the power VDJ has. I'm gonna try what you just said.

Posté Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 5:37 pm
look in my blog on how to set up shorcuts;)

I do EXACTLY that... adjust CGB's on the fly while mixing and playing. As its easy to adjust, and important for features such as loop, sync, sampler, effect etc...

Everything works A LOT better when CGB's are aligned;)

Posté Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 5:38 pm
I am laughing in reading my last post. I wasn't drunk! I just woke up. Sorry for the errors!

It is nice to see other "senior" members here.

I REMEMBER Studio 54...Didn't just read about it!

Ronny

Posté Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 6:03 pm
and now you posted in wrong thread ronny! ;) hehe

Take a cup of coffe, and find the right thread at top of forum, where the comment was made about senior vdj users;) hehe

Posté Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 6:06 pm
Like Norway said, that's exactly how. It makes it very simple if you can beatmatch by ear already. I just wish that when you then hit beatlock it would COMPLETELY LOCK with no drift. Not that I can really complain b/c it is so much easier then vinyl.

Posté Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 7:34 pm
From Norway: For beatlock to work, you need to have perfect bpm PLUS adjust all cgb's to be perfectly aligned under each beat

regarding aligning the beats is this done before you start the mix or track or during? And I am assuming that the aligning can be done with a mouse? I've never done it before

Posté Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 11:21 pm
you can align before you play, and during play on the fly...

It cant be done with mouse, but with keyboard shortcuts (look in my blog) or by using skins that have CGB adjustment buttons in them (such as mixstation skins)

Posté Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 11:26 pm
I haven't taken the time to make sure every bpm is perfect. Alot of time for that. Norway was the one who turned me onto cbg shortcuts a while ago. Regardless if the bpm is perfect, I'd love that when I manually beatmatch if I could somehow lock it in and walk away knowing it would be perfect when I came back. It still drifts a bit. Are you saying that if the BPM was also perfect (needs a little definition) that it would be?

Just to add to the techinque, don't have beatlock on when you try to adjust CBG's. It will distort the sound.

Posté Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 12:02 am
perfect bpm + perfect cgb's = ZERO drift... ;) (software way)

This can of course also be done manually by prelisten and adjusting pitch.. (Old school dj way)

But for software aid, cgb's are essential...

Posté Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 12:07 am
Norwary, I checked out your blog and I made the keyboard shortcuts. Still a little confused on how to align the squares or beats when another song is playing. No problem doing it while both songs are not playing, using the mouse I just move the turntables until the align. Also I have the same setup as you.
2 CDJ's
Pioneer Mixer

Posté Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 7:43 am
v3.4 had beat lock and beat match functions, V4 sync (beatmatch?) but where is beatlock?
or is it the other way round as I havent got VDJ wth me!

Posté Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 10:00 am
Beatlock isn't on the new skins but you can use older skins.

Posté Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 2:59 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)