Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet MK2. Is it worth buying? - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Hi all,

I purchased VDJ a few months ago and recentlly upgraded to 4.0. I enjoy the versatility of the software, but I have few concerns. I've been reading the forums and can I can see that some users have difficulties setting up the MK2 and other sound card configurations with their external hardware.
Why is it difficult for some users to setup the MK2 when it should be compatible with VDJ? Are they buying the right equipment or can't follow instructions?

I've been leaning towards buying the MK2 and using it with the American Audio Velocity, but I need to know exactly what I need. I know this has been discussed in other forums, but some of them are not clear. I guess my question is, what is the best configuration for MK2 and a laptop computer?

My local dj equipment store is encouraging me to cut my losses and buy Rane's Serato Scratch live because of the negative feedback. Can someone restore my faith and help me make a decision.

Thanks

Posté Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 7:09 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
MK2 is a good console for that money, I don't have it but I ordered one (can't wait to play with it :) ). People here convinced me that is a good investment and i don't wanna spend all my money on XP10 or Pioneer. Sure, there are better controllers, but MK2 satisfy the basic needs and a little more. Again, it is the best for the money and you get a sound card too ;).

Posté Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 7:39 am
Sometimes cheap things are not good, and good things are not cheap. This my dilema right now. I'm afraid that the sound quality of the MK2 won't be good enough for the nightlclubs. Has anyone run into this problem?

Posté Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 7:51 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Well.. i had over 80 partyes in nightclubs with over 35kW of speakers! And everything with DJConsole MK1 (not MK2!) and sound is perfect! I have connected it to external mixer where i just add some gain and that's all. Perfect sound, believe me.

Posté Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 8:59 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Not a big fan of it in terms of it's mixer (too fiddly, and no pregain controls for the faders), but as a controller and soundcard all rolled into a compact little unit, it can't be beat for the money!

Posté Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 9:23 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
BARKLEY340 wrote :
I'm afraid that the sound quality of the MK2 won't be good enough for the nightlclubs.

Don't be affraid ;) , even my Sound Blaster Live USB kick ass in the club (and it is only 60 euros), MK2 could only be better :)

Posté Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 2:43 am
Thanks for the advise. I think I'm just being paranoid, but why are people having problems setting it up with virtual dj?

Posté Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 4:33 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
MK2? There isn't any problem as i know. It works, maybe there is some problems with TC, but it works too with correct settings.

Posté Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 11:49 am
Thanks for the input. I'll give it a shot.

Posté Fri 08 Sep 06 @ 7:00 am
Hi BARKLEY340
I have just recently purchased a MK II and highly recommend getting one.I had no trouble setting
the software up,it works perfectly together with VIRTUALDJ.
Regards
pfitzgerald................................

Posté Sat 09 Sep 06 @ 12:10 pm
The Hercules Console mkII is good value for money, but it is a low budget solution. While it sounds OK it' s no match for interfaces like the RME HDSP RPM, but better quality comes at a price. The difference is very noticable though..

Posté Sat 09 Sep 06 @ 2:46 pm
Get it.

You get a
sound card
input options for timecoded cd's or vinyl's.
an interactive mixer (turn the knob on the mixer, and you see it do the same in the program.)
best of all... you get two non rotating disks to be used as either jogs or scratch.

sound is good. though 4.0 has asio problems. so just use the midi. or vdj3.4

Posté Sun 10 Sep 06 @ 3:41 am
Barkley,
Let me know how things work out with the MK2.
I just went to chucks induction speech this weekend and the hoops hall of fame in Springfield, ma. I am assuming that is what your screen name stands for.
-t

Posté Sun 10 Sep 06 @ 4:07 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Id get it

i read the forum aslo and was worried but i thought , id go for it

and i dont want to be rude about a tiny tiny percentage users on this website

but they ignore the manual or help on here and , guess

mess up the settings

come on , make a topic :D

get help , dissregard it , then break it again

then diss the hardware the software and the dev team who put alot of effort in making this stuff

in my experiance the mk2 is a very reliable , good value for money unit

So i say go for it:D!

Posté Mon 11 Sep 06 @ 1:45 pm
To DJ Terry Moran

The name Barkley came from highschool. Based on my body type and the way I played basketball, people said that it was similar to Sir Charles. Most people in my area don't know my real name, so I don't mind keeping it.

I think with all the positive feedback makes me feel comfortable with my purchase. There are always the select few that will always have problems no matter what they do because they just can't follow instructions. I guess you just got to consider the source.

My intention is to travel light. Would I be able to connect the MK2 to a nightclub's resident system? And if I can, would I have to re-configure the setup on the MK2 with every setup?

Posté Wed 13 Sep 06 @ 3:38 am
A laptop and a Hercules DJ Console MK2 will allow you to travel light, connect into a club's sound sytem, and once configured (which is easy), won't need to be reconfigured, unless you want to change the way you use it.

For example: In my last club, I would use the DJC as controller, mixer, and soundcard ("normal" DJC config). My mobile D.J. rack is set up with a Rane MP2 mixer and the Echo Indigo PCMCIA dual sound card, so I change the configurations, set the crossfader on the DJC to the middle, and use the DJC for only the controller features, the Echo for my soundcard, and the Rane for my mixer.

Posté Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 9:34 am
06valPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I bought one more for the soundcard...and i liked it untill 4.0 4.1 came out...i cannout use the timcode inputs on the card.
Maya 44 is a better soundcard
but the MK2 is a soundcard and controller..its amazing on its own at a party or last minute call.
or if 4.0 4.1 worked

Posté Mon 16 Oct 06 @ 10:13 pm
I finally recieved the Hercules Mk2 and I had a little problem setting it up, but finally got it working. The only problems that I have with Console so far is that the buttons are too close together, so when I'm trying to adjust the pitch my finger will accidentally touch the jog wheel and throw my mix off.

Also, I have 4.1 and I'm unable to preview tracks on Deck A and Deck B on Mk2 (No sound). Mix and Split work fine. I found that this is a common problem in the forum. They recommend reinstalling the PC's audio drivers. Is this correct or does anyone have any other solutions? I have a holloween party to do in the next week.

Posté Thu 19 Oct 06 @ 7:52 am
djyemiHome userMember since 2006
yes BARKLEY340...i have the exact same problems that you have (and I only just received it yesterday too). i'm not blowing my trumpet but i have 15 years of deejaying experience (also a DMC runner up) and have used Technics 1200 during my Vinyl days and now use Denon DNS5000 CD players. I bought the Mk2 so that I can dj from my HP Compaq Nc4200 laptop (its an expensive one!).

I really don't understand why those pitch bend buttons are located where they are. Every djay knows that your pitch bend function should be the nearest thing to you. The pitch bend buttons should have been located where the 'next track' buttons are. Hence, each time you try and adjust you end up nudging the spoin wheels (sorry folks, i've got big fingers) which isn't helpful when your recording a mix and you probably have to start all over again (or edit out the mistake with an audio editor - thank God).

I like the concept of the Mk2, but they could have consulted with more djs during the design. And why is ithat headphone control socket and volume located on the side at the bottom? Every dj knows that the mixer headphone control should be on the deck and not below (hence more backache when you have to bend down to fix). - oops, i just realised, this is virtual djs webiste and not hercules so i'll go and moan to them instead.

Also, I play R & B and rarely play garage / house so my tempos are between 88bpm and 110 bpms. Virtual DJ doesn't seem to handle tracks like this properly when they are being timestretched..hence i've had to disable the timestretch function as the songs all seem to stutter and sound horrible otherwise.

DJ Yemi

Posté Thu 19 Oct 06 @ 3:48 pm
djyemiHome userMember since 2006
Also BARKLEY340, the resolution to the headphone problem that you mention is to switch the headphone switch all the way clockwise and then anticlockwise (or vice versa) and then you'll the sound

DJ Yemi

Posté Thu 19 Oct 06 @ 3:50 pm
59%