Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Video DJ's - Page: 3

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

John CPRO InfinityMember since 2005

Posté Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 11:54 pm
To clear up what was asking about with his video edits:

"To prepare derivative works based upon the work;"
Or in another words a remix, if it is saved to a hard drive, record, or disc is copyright infringement.

An example is:
If you perform your remix live, such as a dancer performs a dance - it is considered a work of art, and therefore not infringing on the original copyright.

If the remix is saved to something tangible where it can be accessed and shown again, like a hard drive or disk, without written permission, then that is copyright infringement. Just as if someone took the Mona Lisa and made a mustache and changed the color of her dress. It's still the Mona Lisa by Da Vinci, with your artsitic additions but you can't advertise it as your own.

For more copyright info:
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wwp

Posté Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 12:25 am
funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
I agree with low-fat-al I think you guys need to make a section just for video djs. I started this thread a little over a week ago seeking advice on video's and this thread grew quick and some good write ups from fellow vdjs. This is what makes this community great.

Posté Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 12:27 am
Scott Bucher,

How does DJ's Like Roonie G and 2nd Nature get a way with that then? They are constantly using movie clips and remixed or edited videos in their shows. I am sure there are countless other VJ's doing it as well.

Posté Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 12:28 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
That is a very good question.
Particularly where it deals directly with the promotion of Pioneer products.

I also suggested a seperate video forum last year, but it did not fly.

Posté Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 12:40 am
I agree that people will always try to find a way around the rules.

We here at Promo Only, have consistently taken legal action against those who blatantly make copies and distribute them to their co-workers and the like. People aretrying to either sell the original discs, repackaging them or even ripping them to a new disc are getting most of our attention right now.

There are plenty of sting operations of people getting arrested for making illegal copies.
In Chicago, the RIAA helped police execute a search warrant at the home of an alleged music producer and dj in February. Police confiscated 1,479 counterfeit CDs, 1,273 counterfeit movie DVDs, 23 CD/DVD burners and other equipment, according to the RIAA. The defendant had previously been arrested in November 2005 with 1,728 counterfeit CDs and 683 DVDs.

Police seized more than 5 million illegal CDs and arrested 3300 people last year alone, so it does happen.

As for the lawyer friend , he was right and wrong.

Dj-e-lectric was very good about explaining the differences between what the venue and artist (dj) are responsible for. Thank you.

But as for the copies, and multiple copies, under the Digital Copyright Act signed by Bill Clinton as far as sound recordings go, a person is allowed to make one copy for classroom or reserve room use. Basically you're allowed to make a back up. Do more copies get made - sure. But it's kinda like going 35 mph in 30 mph zone - illegal but rarely enforced.

Tophouse, I'm impressed with your copyright and performance knowledge. very nice.

low-fat-al: I am proud of your enthusiasm towards video editing, Please send me a copy I would like to look at your talent. But please understand this, Tophouse was corect with his post about using video from other sources to use with in your remix. As a professional promotionas company we can not feature that in our video remixes.
Every time we edit a video clip, or make a dance remix we have to send it to the label, and sometime the artist and their management so they can approve the remix before we release it on a DVD. Sometimes they like it, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the approval process is quick, sometimes they get approved late and sometimes not at all.

dj-e-lectric: just to clear up some things:

1. our connection is pretty quick, my point was a large group of people from across the country hit a download site and trying to get the same file. Comparing that new movie on iTunes to anew music video on that proposed download site. 5,000 or 10,000 people all trying to download a 1GB at approximately the same time can create headaches.

2. Agreed that abusers don't care if they pay for the file first before they distribute it. From the labels perspective, if we don't make it available until we protect it we can minimize the money lost. Just like the Warner Bros Music agreement with YouTube today fees and legal enforcement were key in making the deal go throuogh. In the meanwhile Universal is calling YouTube (and myspace) copyright infringement and threatening lawsuits.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060918/wr_nm/youtube_dc

dj-e-lectric I'm glad you make noise, that is always good to voice your opinion, and i like that and welcome other points of view. And I know others don't speak up for what ever reason. But when you mention this proposed series you praise our CD's, but include Yung Joc and Oakenfold, on this DVD something we don't mix on the audio side. Please put together a list of a prospoed series, email it to me and we'll go from there. I myself use our product 4 nights a week to crowds from 1500 to 2200 a night, and also tour nationally with a national sponsor. So I know these things can work. But there is always room for improvement. Let see if you can help.

About the "DJ Friendly" we already do something like that with our Club Series, but like I mentioned above, these remixes always need to get approval. If you have suggestions email me at Promo Only.

Digital Copyright Act
Easily explained:
http://www.utsystem.edu/OGC/intellectualProperty/copypol2.htm

Straight from the Government
www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf

Posté Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 1:16 am
Scott Bucher wrote :
low-fat-al: I am proud of your enthusiasm towards video editing, Please send me a copy I would like to look at your talent. But please understand this, Tophouse was corect with his post about using video from other sources to use with in your remix. As a professional promotionas company we can not feature that in our video remixes.
Every time we edit a video clip, or make a dance remix we have to send it to the label, and sometime the artist and their management so they can approve the remix before we release it on a DVD. Sometimes they like it, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the approval process is quick, sometimes they get approved late and sometimes not at all.

Alot of the edits and remixes I have done are using as much as the original material for the video as possible. Through my life long journey of remixing and editing these videos and music tracks I have noticed that companies like Hot Tracks and X-Mix would add too much to the track that isn't from the original song. I try to make it very DJ Friendly and not so BLAH... sounding like ass. I have had to get creative without having access to the any of the seperate parts of the song (ei, instrumentals, acappella, etc) by getting parts throughout the song to re-create the basic dry drum loop to use for the intro and outro. But after hours of work it pays off. After doing the audio then I go to the video and layout the video in much the same fashion. I take elements that are like filler footage for the intro and outro. Usually a 32 beat in and 32*32 out. Because I scratch mix the hip hop videos with turntables I then make the first beat or sound with a small usable clip to help with the effect of scratching, (ei. someone dancing or ass shaking, etc) Very cool effect when scratching and introducing the new track you are about to mix in. That is with the hip hop and pop videos anyways. House and dance tracks are a little different with longer intros and outros. Older tracks I have done like Staying Alive from the Bee Gees I actually took clips throughout the movie Saturday Night Fever and built up my own version of a music video. I made everything on beat from the beginning with him walking with the paint can to him getting ready to go out to him at the club dancing. I even extended the song to fit all the footage. Everytime I play it everyone is glued to the screen. I try not to cheese out my videos to make it like was a "remix"...
It would be nice use my older work and current newer work to have a legitimate distrubution for all of us working video DJ's to use abroad... and get paid of course. :-)

.. and believe me I don't want to be one of those guys who gets raided and they find some remixed or edited videos and throw me in jail. I just want to use my artistic creative passion to entertain and create great product... without breaking any laws.

Posté Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 1:40 am
We as djs promote the artist's new releases & increase their sales. I think we should be able to do whatever we want with any and every form of media with out having to worry about every little law. I don't have time to read about what we can & can't do because of legal this & that. I do my best to not break the laws that are obvious & that's good enough to me.

Posté Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 1:55 am
Scott, I want to thank you for listening to (especially me guilty of this) our rants about not only your product but the feeling toward the industry in general. You present your responses with class and thoroughness that we may not always do in our frustration regarding a situation............... The CLUB series is very good for house/trance/dance type clubs and does have a high percentage of tracks that hit the "club play" and "dance radio" charts, and your URBAN series is great for clubs that play predominantly hip hop/rap that are on the hip hop and rap charts and never make or take a while to hit the top 40 mainstream chart. The current HOT Video series may well be good for wedding dj's or retail stores where you have less dancing and more just listening and mingling. what I am looking for (and maybe I am not expressing it properly) is a series that has the songs from the URBAN series ONLY after they have crossed over to the mainstream chart and the CLUB songs ONLY after they have crossed over to the top 100 mainstream and danceable rock such as (older examples) Killers - Somebody Told Me and Weezer - Beverly Hills but not when they hit the rock charts, wait until they hit the top 100 mainstream chart and without the ballads and slower AC type "listening" songs such as Daniel Powter. I know that "Have A Nice Day" was a HUGE hit, but in it's radio (not dance remix) format it's not remotely considered am applicable song in a nightclub.......... I realize this may mean only 15-20 songs on a cd each month and they will not be for the Dj's who need the hottest song as soon as it hits the streets so they can "break it" and beat the cell phone video on-demand services to it.......... You have to remember there is a large segment of the nightclub market targeting the more mature minded, less hip, more educated, career oriented 25-40 year old age group, many of whom still think "Run It" is Chris Brown's latest hit because they only have time to listen to the radio 20 minutes a day so they miss many "smaller" hits..........maybe this series would be better explained as a "best of the last 3 months recurrent series" and maybe it only comes out every other month if that's how long it takes to fill up a complete disc............You have the URBAN/CLUB/HOT and EXPRESS series for those who need new and unproven songs as soon as you can get them out..........What is needed, at least in the clubs I typically work, is not the most current videos but rather the customers most FAMILIAR favorite videos. Videos of songs they will normally want to dance to even if there was no video. The video is a "bonus" rather than the reason they are there, extra entertainment to focus their attention when they are not dancing...........In the clubs I usually play I won't even start playing a song or video until the "rap" or "rock" stations have burned it into the ground because about the time the 21-24 year olds are tired of it is when the 25+ crowd is just discovering it.

Posté Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 9:08 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Just to quote myself Scott, incase you missed my question, thanks.

"@Scott Bucher,
Do you plan on releasing a "DJ friendly" series? For example original 12" Tracks with its Video, obviously this would require editing and using filler effects for the intro/outro/breaks etc.

If not, does anyone know if and where such versions are available?"

Posté Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 8:44 pm
You can make your own but according to the "laws" you really can't... or do it and not tell anyone and just use them. The laws are killing the creative and DJ's who are trying to work smarter and not harder.

Posté Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 9:27 pm
Al,
Love to see one of your mixes, sounds like you really know what you are doing with video.

Posté Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 9:36 pm
Didn't miss the question, I answered in my last post (3rd paragraph from the bottom of the post)
I'm sorry I didn't address your name, which I should have since it was your question I was answering.

We do have a Club Video series that features video remixes, which are re-edited to a shortened version of an extended piece of audio. There can be anywhere from 1-10 of these remixes on this series.

The problem is that these remixes have to submitted to the label for approval, or as I mentioned, the artist and their management. Beyonce and Destinys Child are a good example of this. Any re-edit of their videos has to be sent to their management so the artist can view the clip for their own approval. These edits can be quick to approve, sometimes they can take forever and then again possibly never at all.

We have series Mix Essentials that has accapella videos as well as extended edits, both centered on Urban artists. But the approval process is feast or famine. A lot approvals at once, then nothing for a while, then a bunch again. Nothing consistent enough to maintain a monthly series.

As far as using full 12" versions, I doubt it.

With most 12" versions timing in around 7:30 minutes and the average video is around 3:30 that gives about 4 minutes of footage to fill in, or re-create. Throwing out about 70% of the original video because it features footage of the artist singing, it leaves you very little footage to fill in the remaining 4 minutes. Lots of repeats and almost impossible to get approved.

So unless the video was shot that way, you have a better chance with edits.

If you have any suggestions, or requests, please feel free to email them to me or post them on our boards.

Posté Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 9:42 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Thanks for that Scott , you have my future subscription..when I finally get a video system sorted out.

Posté Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 10:03 pm
Bagpuss: Your welcome - anytime.

low-fat-al & dj-e-lectric:
Good to hear back from you, like I said if you have material, requests or a playlist you would like to submit, please email it to me. Although I thank and respect Virtual Dj for these boards, it is a forum for Virtual DJ, so if we need to dig deeper into Promo Only playlists, Promo Only remixes and content submitted to Promo Only, out of respect it should be emailed to me or taken up further on our Boards.
Thanks.

And I agree:
Yeah, laws suck sometimes, but they are there to protect.

Imagine if you were hired to do a Friday night club gig and the owner, without your knowledge, decided to record your set to hard drive every Friday Night. He would then play your Friday Night set on Saturday night without having to hire a dj. He's using your work, without your permission or any compensation, to make money for himself.

Wouldn't you be upset?

He then decides to share the file by giving his friend, another club owner, a copy of this hard drive recorded mix.

What would you do in that case?
How would you protect yourself from being taken advantage of.

1. Quit the venue to prevent him from recording you anymore?
2. Use a microphone, or pre-recorded drops, to make sure your name is all over the mix?
3. Ask to get paid either in full, or a portion, for the nights he uses your mix?
4. Threaten to sue if he doesn't stop making copies?

The labels and these laws are doing the same thing - protecting the artist.

1. Quit servicing product to sites, companies or businesses that are associated with
illegal coping or downloads.
2. They use a watermark to identify the owner of the track or clip.
3. Ask to get paid for original downloads, or a percentage of a remix
4. Threaten to sue if illegal copies are made

Labels and djs aren't much different from each other - it just depends on which side of the copyright fence you are on, taking or being taken from.

Posté Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 11:34 pm
low-fat-al wrote :
Scott Bucher,

How does DJ's Like Roonie G and 2nd Nature get a way with that then? They are constantly using movie clips and remixed or edited videos in their shows. I am sure there are countless other VJ's doing it as well.

They get permission, just like artist get permission for samples. There is actually a clearing house for audio samples, and I would guess the same for video clips. They also have to pay for these rights, in some form or the other. That's if they are smart. If not, it only takes one jealous DJ, or a company employee to see it, and drop a dime. Just ask the former owner of my club about HBO. He thought he was mister big shit, until they bitch slapped him. Just remember their lawyers, get paid more then yours, and there are a lot more of them.

Posté Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 11:45 pm
Scott Bucher wrote :

Yeah, laws suck sometimes, but they are there to protect.

Imagine if you were hired to do a Friday night club gig and the owner, without your knowledge, decided to record your set to hard drive every Friday Night. He would then play your Friday Night set on Saturday night without having to hire a dj. He's using your work, without your permission or any compensation, to make money for himself.

Wouldn't you be upset?

of course...
I used to work (DJ-ing) for a big entertainment company in Houston Texas owns several major nightclubs here. During the course of my employement I did some extra work for them organizing and building computers for their clubs. The club I mainly worked in was an 80's themed club. I had a massive library I used at a previous retro themed club. Most of the mixes were exclusive edits that I did to FIX the versions that were released back then. I also had very rare tracks I owned on vinyl that I transferred to MP3 format for DJ-ing. Well when I got hired they said I couldn't bring my own computer so I had to dump my library on their computer in the booth. Well they took it upon themselves to copy that for their main library at the corporate office. One night I needed a night off and I always had a CD back library on hand as well. Well the DJ Manager for the company covered my shift for me but asked to use my CD's as back up. I later found out he copied EVERY one of them and used it for himself and the company. Same thing with video content. I had my own content I would play there and they stole it from me too. So I know about all that believe me. I just couldn't do anything about it. This was a multimillion dollar company and I am simple DJ/production artist working for them. I since left that company early this year and they still use my stuff to this day. Nothing I could do...

Scott Bucher wrote :

The labels and these laws are doing the same thing - protecting the artist.

1. Quit servicing product to sites, companies or businesses that are associated with
illegal coping or downloads.
2. They use a watermark to identify the owner of the track or clip.
3. Ask to get paid for original downloads, or a percentage of a remix
4. Threaten to sue if illegal copies are made

Labels and djs aren't much different from each other - it just depends on which side of the copyright fence you are on, taking or being taken from.

I would LOVE to make a video edit or remix and do it legit!! And give them a percentage if I ACTUALLY sold any copies via a service like Promo Only. I keep my mixes very close to me and NO ONE gets them. People HAVE to hire me to see them or enjoy them anyways. Makes me stand a little I guess. But if I could service a mass market with protection like the laws state then ... bring it on!!! I am game.

oh and Scott... what is your e-mail address and how would you perfer I submit a sample mix to you (ei. format, file size, etc)

mp3jrick wrote :
Al,
Love to see one of your mixes, sounds like you really know what you are doing with video.

I would love to ... but isn't that illegal?

Actually I plan on a making a Video Mix Demo and have it posted on my MySpace page and website soon.
(for promotional use only... to just clear that up... in case anyone wants to book me... not selling my mixes)

one last question to anyone reading this...

Back in the day when CD burners first came out DJ's started making their own Mixed CD's pretty much like the mixed tapes. I used to do all that and people would buy them from me at the club I worked at or at the local record store I sold them at too. Well what about the Mixed DVD's now? A 2 hour DJ video mix? How legal is that or is that pretty much a waste of time to put one together for promo use only?

Posté Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 11:51 pm
We also have a wonderful feature in this program to mark our mixes called text.
I have recorded my mixes to dvd and for the reasons that Scotty mentioned have plugged in a text line every couple of minutes to prevent personal copywrite issues.

This is also kind of a closed group here, so sure it could walk, but will it....
Nobody in their right mind is going to duplicate a Tube flick and use it, the quality sucks in a good way.
But we already have net based demos of djs showing the features of the program.
Is it illegal?
Maybe.

But the real question is like I asked.
Don't Rooney G and DJ Second Nature violate those same laws on a much larger scale with all the publication on sites and forums?
How much more illegal is it when they promote the DVJ's in the process?
Pioneer is a big big company, seems kind of off the scale to me in a copywrite sence.

Posté Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 12:15 am
mp3jrick wrote :
But the real question is like I asked.
Don't Rooney G and DJ Second Nature violate those same laws on a much larger scale with all the publication on sites and forums?
How much more illegal is it when they promote the DVJ's in the process?
Pioneer is a big big company, seems kind of off the scale to me in a copywrite sence.

Did you miss my post above?

Posté Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 12:30 am
--@--.--

--
Moderated by Lady Cameron
Sorry Scott Bucher no email address is allowed from a demo user

Posté Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 12:40 am
78%