Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Video DJ's - Page: 4

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Ok so no email address from me, since it is being censored by the moderator...

Just visit Promoonly's site and either post on our boards or find me on our contacts page.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Posté Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 12:42 am
Scott Bucher wrote :
Ok so no email address from me, since it is being censored by the moderator...

Just visit Promoonly's site and either post on our boards or find me on our contacts page.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

will do..

Posté Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 1:41 am
I have to say this is one of the best threads I've read since I've been a member here. Very constructive, professional, and educational. Learned quite a few things I didn't know.

Posté Thu 21 Sep 06 @ 2:59 am
funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
this thread has had alot of post since I started it, all I was doing was asking a few questions. I really think the team should make a forum just for video dj's. Not like its all that hard to add it on the site. I also think doing something like this could also help attrack others over to virtualdj, since it would have a section on video djing, which is becoming the next big thing. Seeing how virtual dj has video, newbies would be inclined to purchase the software, because they would see the support that the community gives.................Its a thought.

Posté Thu 21 Sep 06 @ 4:55 am
As a former Promo Only subscriber I just wanted to share a few things with everyone that I believe are quite valid. I must however insist, that I do respect Promo Only and I hopefully won’t upset 80,000+ people because of my opinions…

Ok so…Long long ago there was a company called "ETV" that actually remixed videos and had a great set of "Vital Dance" hits that were very expensive and many people couldn't buy them as much because of cost. But they weren't like the Peter Rauhofer Edit for dance, vs the original for Top 40. They actually had VJ's that remixed original videos and released them in this series. With Promo Only hitting mostly radio, venues, and stores....ETV was offering something entirely different and unique for most clubs and DJ's. I'm assuming that in 2003 when they seized open subscriptions to newbies, they decided to merge with Promo Only so that together as a team, they could produce under "Promo Only" to pretty much any venue... Unfortunately under "Promo Only" they are not remixing anything...if they do it's very rare. They seek Video remixes and originals or edits, of songs in whatever series you are subscribing to. Promo Only does what most other video subscription services do. The problem is that the trend keeps changing. Just a few weeks ago 50 Cent said on live air "R&B is getting boring." Last year billboard charts were almost 20% or less radio hits. Now they seem to be 75% radio hits. It's hard to keep up with the different trends.

I know many people who are displeased with Promo Only and not just video subscriptions. I used to use MS CLUB, and might have been lucky to get 4 total songs from the double disc set each month, and that was if I didn’t find it sooner from the internet. But I still paid for my PO subscriptions regardless. But if I look at Promo Only back in 2003 and earlier, the MS Club was almost ALL good music, what I mean is that it was stuff that was almost guaranteed to pack a floor. Sadly enough, even Funkymix and Ultimix produce CD's that sometimes do not have many songs that can be used, the difference is that Funkymix and Ultimix have DJ's that remix the regular song and then they release it to DJ's, similar to ETV Vital Dance...they don't just take other Mixer's work, slap it in a compilation, then send it out...

I feel that many people are switching to PC's and thanks to newer cell phones, ipods, and God knows what else…videos are IN, but it's getting ridiculous to spend $35+ per month for a video set that has 4 songs worth using, or even for the CD sets. We would simply prefer to pay only for what we can "preview" and then pay to use/download. We understand how expensive it can be for artists to make videos and whatnot. HOWEVER we are NOT responsible for FILLER that is pretty much useless. Like Gnarls Barkley....the entire disc was useless, in my case, but the one song. Because the music industry finally realized that it's probably a GOOD idea to offer music online, they decided to do it but with secure technologies.... And most people that download and Pay, especially myself, GO BACK AND RE-ENCODE to get rid of the stupid protective technology. ONLY because Nothing is worse then trying to play a song that has protective encryptions on it, and then finding out that your club computer is not online but now has to go online to verify the license.......WORTHLESS! CD's don't do that...DVD's don't do that. Original DIVX DVD's did, but how many of us have a DIVX DVD player? (Divx was originally designed so that you could buy a DVD for one-time use vs rent a standard one... Somehow the player would know you used up your subscription, and would no longer allow you to play the media)

I do belive that it's wrong for people to infringe but it will always be there. There are people using MTV videos because promo only didn't or couldn’t release it yet, it's a demanding world and if people see it on TV and they CAN’T hear it in the club, the DJ looks bad.

The music industry has already started sites that people can purchase videos from, just like audio. The only problem is, for DJ's.....there's still nothing out there for us. It's wait for the disc, or download!

I am not trying to say PO is wrong or anyone is directly wrong, I just think they should realize that they'd probably have a bigger profit if they allowed DJ's to pay and download, to keep up with the demands I was told that some subscription companies allow ONLY radio jockeys to download from their site, not nightclub dj's. Pretty soon, we won't be using DVD's or CD's....then what? I believe that someone who reproduces copyright music and sells hundreds or even thousands of copies, should be fined or jailed! But, at the same time, there are so many stipulations and rules, ascap this, bmi that, sesac here, and so on…

Did you know that some subscription companies state that if you stop your PAID subscription, you must return the media back to them? It’s just ludicrous.

Just like with audio, I firmly believe that if we could pay and download our videos, the majority of us would….and someday and soon, the music industry will realize that as well.

Many believe that it’s such a risk to offer these types of services, but unfortunately in the end, they will be the companies that end up closing down.

As of today, even Metallica is now permitting people to pay and download their music from certain sites, because even they realized that the day’s of CD’s are nearing an end…

So hopefully I will check back and see people with similar views…. Many of us do not intentionally try to “steal” music…. We feel that we sometimes don’t have a choice, we are stuck on the spot….either wait…..or download. If we decide to download, most of us delete the downloaded file, and replace it with the paid for one…once we receive the subscribed media containing the song.

Seriously!,

Jason G

Posté Fri 22 Sep 06 @ 9:56 am
low-fat-al:

Where in Houston are you playing now, I would love to come and see you performing, I live in Houston Tx. as well, and looking to learn more about video djs. I'm not a dj myself but a sports bar owner and
have a in house dj, but with limited equipment, since we just starting playing music during the weekends.

Thanks

Mario.

Posté Fri 22 Sep 06 @ 3:24 pm
Jason,

You're gonna be surprised at this but agree with a decent amount of what you are saying.
Other portions need some clearing up though.

When you are assuming that ETV merged with Promo Only so they could produce under Promo Only's name, you are mistaken. First, it was more of an acquisition of their library than a merger. There were a lot of legal issues. No employees came to work for Promo Only. The remaining employees formed ET Videos and became the ETV Network in 2004 after acquiring three other video services: Telegenics, Videolink and Network Canada. The new name was chosen to represent the four companies; ET, Telegenics, Videolink, Network Canada. They got out of the video pool service and now focus on retail.
http://www.answers.com/topic/etv-network

As mentioned in the posts above, each remix has to be approved by the label before we release it.

I agree with 50 Cent that R&B, even music as a whole, gets boring sometimes, that hapeens with every trend of music, be it boy bands, Euro-House, grunge, emo, reggaeton - you name it. Each new trend starts to sound the same after a while.

I also agree that a download video service would be a great idea, but again as I mentioned before, the product has to be developed. Hard drive storage, bandwith and most importantly encryption need to be developed. You mentioned that there are sites for radio djs and video downloads. Yes there are, even we at Promo Only provide one for Radio DJs. Why don't we do it for video?

The labels, and even Metallica, are comfortable with the encryption and protection iTunes gives them. Even our MPE system is encrypted in such a way that you are permanently tagged with that file, even if you rip it and burn it you are still tagged as the owner for as long as the file exists. And have you really tried to mix iTunes videos? or even show them on a large projector? Can you say pixelation?

I agree, videos are IN, (Go figure I'm a video progammer/editor/dj!) and you have a lot of valid points with where music videos shouuld go, but the labels want to protect their product, just as I described that dj story above. Video promo people from many labels look at these forums, they may not post, but they see what the masses want.
Encrypted downloading is the logical progression. But they also see the attitude and mentality from statements like:

"GO BACK AND RE-ENCODE to get rid of the stupid protective technology. ONLY because Nothing is worse then trying to play a song that has protective encryptions on it, and then finding out that your club computer is not online but now has to go online to verify the license.......WORTHLESS!"

That is not a reassuring statement to anyone in the industry that club/mobile djs will be responsible with their media. Don't forget, maybe wrongfully so, but the labels look at radio and club/mobile djs differently. Radio Djs, for the most part, are employed by a few large corporate companies and are regulated and have to agree to contracts with stipulations and sign codes of conduct. Club/mobile djs can be anyone who has the money for a system and can print up company letterhead. That's why the labels want to protect their files and media.

As for the $35 per disc thing - when you are getting basically 40 videos for about a $1 a clip, that seems pretty reasonable. Now if you are only getting 4 useful clips per disc, you might reconsider what series you are getting. Again, my "door" is always open, if you have a request, or several, just email me or post it on our Boards. I am curious to see what format you are spinning where Gnarl Barkley is good, but "Promiscuous Girl", Rihanna's "S.O.S.", Mariah Carey, Paul Oakenfold, Pussycat Dolls and more are not.

Personal taste varies between people and only through communication can I understand and help cater to yours. Get in contact with me and I'll try.

Posté Fri 22 Sep 06 @ 6:26 pm
djreneePRO InfinityMember since 2004
We have been PO continuous subscribers since April 1996. We have never found a better run company.

We have been debating on video for the past year and decided this week to make the move. I looked at the PO website videos for the past 6 months to see how many songs I could have used from the "Hot Video" series.

While I didn't think all 40 were "hits" and a few were absolute unknowns to me, overall based on the price I had no problem buying a years subscription. I ordered it Wednesday and I'm holding it in my hand today, This is the kind of service I've always gotten from P.O.

Deciding to go with video took a while, deciding to go with PromoOnly requred no thought at all.

Renee

Posté Fri 22 Sep 06 @ 6:45 pm
Thanks much for responding Scott. I will talk to a few people in my area (Erie, PA) and then contact you with the information. The reason I stopped my subscription was because the Dance Mix Video appeared to be mostly repeats of the better songs, each disc. A friend of mine was subscribing to Hot Video, and it was okay, but the club hits weren't out as quick as he thought they'd be. He switched to Express and as this past week, there was not a video that he could use in his top 40 club, but it's been that way for a few months, with an exception of whatever release had Sexyback and Me And You on it. Then again, people in Erie seem to have to hear it on the radio first. But I do like the fact that Hot VIdeo always releases a few retro/disco songs, each month. I think I'm trying to find something similar with the Dance Mix, but where Don't Cha (Ralphi's Edit) isn't on every other month, instead, it's filled with more dance hits from earlier years, like Girl From The Gutter (Thunderpuss Edit) and so on... It's so hard for newer VJ's to acuire older media, without paying for backorders from like the late 90's.

I will certainly get in contact with you from the PO site though. Thanks again and thanks for the correction on the ETV info.

Jason G

Posté Fri 22 Sep 06 @ 7:44 pm
Be glad to talk to you.

Yes Dance Mix does have repeats. This way we can offer short powersets in which we can present some of the more popular songs with different songs mixed in and out of them to create a variety in a subscriber's library. It is not intended as an issue featuring all new songs, but to compliment a djs existing library. We find the shorter mixes (3 song powersets) to be favored by the majority of our subscribers, and that is why we changed to that format years ago. Dance Mix did start out similar to ETV's Vital Dance, 2 LONG segues mixes on a disc, but received many, many, many complaints.

As for your friend and his experience with us, yes club hits (depending on how you define club - dance, urban, pop) usually show up on Hot after they have built a popularity through either Club Video, Urban Video or Modern Rock exposure. If he is defining "club hits" as titles like "Sexy Back" and "Me & U", then I might second guess your comment about Express and useable content over the last few months.

Looking at what WRST (Star 104) is promoting, (their playlist and last played options are down as of Friday afternoon) they are promoting a bunch of artists who haven't released anything lately: Avril, Kelly Clarkson, Eminem, Britney.

But you can find quite a few bonafide hits featured in the last month or so from Fergie, Beyonce, JoJo, Ciara, the Pussycat Dolls, Janet, P. Diddy , a couple from Nelly Furtado and several other titles. Most, if not all, might compliment a playlist that includes Justin and Cassie.

I can assure you "Don't Cha" won't be appearing that much anymore, only twice this year so far. LOL And I can understand your frustration with finding older clips, but we can't sacrifice too much from Dance Mix. We are after all, a music and music video promotion company, offering an outlet to those who are Billboard Reporting/Radio Dj/content receiving djs. Our agreement is that our discs have a limited production run, when it's sold out it's sold out. We try to revive them when we get permissions for the Best Of's. My suggestion to you is, hit our boards, email me, make requests.
I'm pretty open to suggestion, and if I can make it happen I will try; if I can't I will explain why. Unfortunately, if you are looking to build the recurrent songs or videos in your library, you are going to need to buy discs from the past, be it in Best buy or through someone like us.

Posté Fri 22 Sep 06 @ 11:28 pm
Scott Bucher wrote :
Unfortunately, if you are looking to build the recurrent songs or videos in your library, you are going to need to buy discs from the past, be it in Best buy or through someone like us.

According what someone wrote earlier.. isn't what you just stated illegal?
Like I stated before... I own tons of DVD's of artists and even one of the "NOW" DVD's. I ripped all the usable tracks and use them. Even some of the artists on their CD singles include a DVD of the music video now. So what is legal and illegal with that. Are we as DJ's turned VJ's forced to use DJ only subscription services for our content and struggle with a collection or recurrent hits?

I don't follow any of those rules anyways... I have been slowly building up my video library now and have over 2500 music videos now going back to old 50's and 60's rock to the most current dance, hip hop, etc... of course a lot of them or custom edits that I did... sshhhhh don't tell anyone who thinks that is illegal....

and to answer someone's question to me before....

I am at a place called Brian O'Neills Irish Pub (in Rice Village) on Thursday's doing the Video Scratch DJ thing.

Posté Sat 23 Sep 06 @ 12:31 am
i run video in my club, yes, i might be illegal, but whatever, i render alot of my own stuff in combo with etv, promo only and many others, ive got 2600 gigs of vob files, fighting about licencing is petty, lets just all get along and quit trying to decide "who has the bigger dick",

THE DIFERANCE BETWEEN GOD AND A DJ IS THAT GOD DOESN'T THINK HE'S A DJ

BJ THE DJ aka THE SCHOOL OF EVIL

www.rumjungle.ca

Posté Sat 23 Sep 06 @ 3:52 am
Mix93fmPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I think Promo Only does a great job with the constraints the record labels put on them. I've used video for years, since the days of Telegenics & now edit promo Only videos with Ultimix & Funkymix ( about 1 hour for each song in Sony Vegas) for my own use in the club. Quality is fine, choice of hits - well, some months a lot, some not so many, but compared to other services promo Only rules.

Excellent thread & very imformative - thanks to all.

Posté Mon 25 Sep 06 @ 3:01 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
when the licence ppl turn up

you wont think its petty then lol.

;)

id rather be safe than sorry on such matters so i wont rip promo dvds or free bees

in compliations

Posté Mon 25 Sep 06 @ 10:57 am
BJ -
As a dj myself who uses video, I understand the frustration we, as djs, go through trying to get content. I just happen to be in a position where I talk to the labels on a daily basis and know what their thoughts are. All i'm trying to do is answer questions, explain some of the rules that we as a promotional distribution company have to abide by, and let you know what the "other side" is thinking.

Liquid Mix & Dj Renee -
Thanks for the kind words and support!

Low-Fat-Al -
I like your wit, your sarcasm and drive to get new music. Although I can't condone it, your aggressiveness to build a a library is admirable. I truly appreciate the fact that we can trade points of view without getting into personal attacks - thank you. And to answer your question "Are we as DJ's turned VJ's forced to use..." - legally yes, but does it always happen that way - no. But I ain't sayin' nuttin'!

Posté Mon 25 Sep 06 @ 5:31 pm
Scott Bucher...
Did you just purchase the software so your status didn't say "no license user" anymore?
... and I do love the Promo Only's video collections and subsciption service. Usually top notch with quality and selection.

Question though... Would you guys ever consider a DVD that has nothing but the MPG-2 files instead of the DVD-Video so we could literally just copy it from the DVD to computer instead of going through the ripping process?

I would never get into personally attacking anyone. That is so unprofessional.

liquidmix wrote :
... now edit promo Only videos with Ultimix & Funkymix..

Well I am not sure but that is illegal... (shhh .. don't tell anyone) I mean I do somewhat the same thing... except I don't use the ultimix and funkymix because the usually butcher the songs too much and make it sound NOT like the original mix (which the general audience is used to listening to)... just my opinion. It is works for some DJ's but not for me. I do my own edits according to what is functional instead.

Posté Mon 25 Sep 06 @ 9:53 pm
Nope, bought it because:
1. I am a dj and it was a reasonably priced software.
and
2. Becuase as a video programmer I need to know about everything my subscribers' need.

As for the MPEG2 file Data DVD, the labels view that the same way as the downlaoded files, and there fore no permission has been granted to us. I know there are some companies that offer that service, and I can not and will not comment on how they offer that service. All i know is that when we asked, the answer was the same as the downlaod service.

As for the Ultimix/Funkymix edits, we are getting permission to do more and more of those and release them on our DVDs but it is only on a case by case basis.

Posté Tue 26 Sep 06 @ 12:39 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)