Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Virtual DJ trial: new user experience and questions

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

timjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi

I have been trying out VDJ and I do really like it. Nice product! It's very intuitive and feels a lot more "natural" to me (as someone migrating from vinyl) than all the other software I've trialled. However I'd like to comment/ask about a couple of initial things that have struck me as a completely new user. (I would like to know about any answers to these if possible as I am considering buying it). Thanks. Forgive me if I'm just overlooking some functionality...

1. What is with the file tagging (or lack of)? This seems to me to be one of the most basic things in a digital DJ software and yet it doesn't seem to work. If I have a file called "Test.ogg" which is correctly tagged with artist and title, it just comes up as "Test" in VDJ, not with the artist and title. This is crazy. Sure, I can use a tagging program to rename all my files but I really don't see why I should have to. Compared to the advanced functionality in VDJ I really don't get why such a basic thing doesn't work. It doesn't seem to make any difference what my setting of "Read ID3 tags" is in the config. Even free DJ software like mixxx gets this right!

2. Key changing/locking.

a) KeyChanger is a fantastic tool. However, the sound quality (even without changing the pitch of the sound) can be a bit gritty depending on the track. Is there a better algorithm out there? I'm pretty sure I've heard smoother time stretchers.

b) When *disabling* the KeyChanger effect, for some reason the deck "key lock" turns on and I don't really see why. It would make sense if it automatically adjusted the pitch to match the current setting of KeyChanger (before you disabled it) and then locked the key, but as it is it just goes back to whatever it was before you enabled KeyChanger and locks it - even if it wasn't locked to start with. This is counterintuitive.

3. Behringer BCD2000. Works pretty nicely. However,

a) as a trial user I really ought to be able to download the mapper tool, since I don't really like the default mappings and I'd like to try out what the mapper can do. Presumably the mapper tool isn't much use if you let the trial run out and don't buy VDJ or if you don't have a version that supports the BCD2000 so I can't see the harm in it.

b) the "back to top" button (possibly one of the most useful buttons on the unit) does the wrong thing in VDJ and doesn't go back to top at all but instead does something weird I can't quite work out (go back 1 bar maybe?) This is why I would like to try the mapper, to see if I can map it to play_pos = 0!

c) the PFL control doesn't seem to move the equivalent control on VDJ

d) ASIO audio doesn't really work via the BCD2000, though everyone on the forums seems to know about this so I am not going to say much. It's annoying but doesn't bother me excessively as I have an Echo Indigo DJ which works just fine, I am just trying the BCD2000 as a controller not audio unit. However it does strike me that VDJ and Behringer ought to get some software engineers to sit down together and figure out whose fault (if any) it is and just sort it. It can't be a big thing.

e) VDJ should have a MIDI "pickup" feature (I think Ableton has something like this) where if you move a control on the screen so that it's out of sync with a physical control on a MIDI surface, when you touch the control on the MIDI surface it doesn't "jump" the on-screen control but instead ignores the MIDI events until you turn the MIDI control to the point where it's back in sync with the screen. This lets you use both on-screen and MIDI controls without risking nasty "jumps". If there's a way of doing this please let me know!

4. Is there a way to display the record label information in the browser view (like Traktor)? This would be really useful as I often remember records by label. I believe the field that's commonly used for storing this information is the "Copyright" field in the ID3 tag.

5. Traktor has a *really* useful feature where as well as showing the time elapsed/remaining in a track in minutes, it shows it in musical terms i.e. bars. This is especially useful when trying to find mix points. I guess this wouldn't be too hard to implement since the BPM counter is very accurate...

6. I don't like the default action of the "cue" button which is to set cues if the track is stopped. I know you're copying some standard CD decks here but I find a separate "set cue"/"go to cue" button much more logical and don't end up overwriting cues accidentally that way.

7. VDJ for Linux would be awesome.

Thanks!

Tim

Posté Fri 01 Dec 06 @ 12:09 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004

enable read 1d3 and write virtual dj tags

aslo scan all of your files for best results

you can use any vst plugin with virtual dj you want for this.

this is to make the keychange go back to normal i think try changing dissable keylock to manual

this is for pro users only as a benifit for purchasing and an insentive for users not to crack the program

a on top buton is available on some skins available to pro users

asio bcd is a fault in the drivers made by beringer

there is a midi control section on the remote control tab

you can change bettween time played and time remaining by clicking on it

in some skins it flashes as it is running out of time

linux is a complicated os and im not sure they would have enough customers to justify making a linux copy , with mac users there are enough and they will have a release after exmas

hope this helps ;)

Posté Fri 01 Dec 06 @ 10:28 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
2. ) The default ("fast") algorithm is too simple, did you try different advanced settings for master tempo (Settings > Performance > Master Tempo)? Try values Complexity: 2, Spatialization: 0, or Complexity: 1, Spatialization: 1, and be sure to raise your asio latency to prevent computer from locking up because of high resource demand.

And you don't need to use the key changer plug-in, you can create keyboard/midi shortcuts to change key (function "key_offset" under "pitch" section), or create a slider on a skin easily by duplicating pitch slider and replacing it with key_offset function.

3. ) Problems probably occur because you lack the mapper

4. ) I don't think so, there has been a debate regarding full id3 implementation, and here's another topic regarding ID3 tags.

5. ) Yes, I think that can be done, I think that there exists a function to display remaining/upcoming beats, but I couldn't find it now in the skin SDK list (which is very loosy - lots of functions aren't listed).

6. ) That you can change easily to fit your needs in the skin's xml file, or just use your keyboard/midi shortcuts instead :)

erXon

Posté Fri 01 Dec 06 @ 11:41 am
timjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Sorry it's a bit late but just wanted to thank you guys for your input. I still think the MP3 tagging support sucks, and all the people who seem to think otherwise appear to not use MP3s in any other context than VDJ.

The pitch control does work better with higher complexity, but unfortunately it seems my laptop can't handle that at a sensible latency. Shame, because the algorithms in other software seem to be able to produce better quality results with the same CPU usage.

Anyway I had enough confidence to give the demo of VDJ a go live, and I've decided it's the right tool notwithstanding the limitations, so I'm going to buy a copy.

Thanks for the help!

Posté Sat 23 Dec 06 @ 3:45 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Welcome to VirtualDJ.

Posté Sat 23 Dec 06 @ 5:26 pm
Just done the 20 day test (christmas parties non stop!) i have about 5 Qs but ill try just two now.

1; When i left it on automix i found that it would jump to at least halfway thru the next song on changeover, whats all that about? I thought maybe it was because i kept shuffling and reshuffling the playlist, which i have to for inspiration and requests etc.

2; Just a little one this time, i used the internal mixer skin but coudnt read the clock/counter thing so i edited the xlm file and moved it down to just above the brouser and made it bigger... worked a treat was well pleased with myself! Ok can anyone tell me a line that would also do the date when i click on it (for when im doing invoices etc)

If i can get these and a few other things sorted i will buy the pro version and not otz Dj

thats a promise!

And Muchos Danke to anyone who bothers to help

Mark

Posté Sat 23 Dec 06 @ 8:55 pm
its looking for an idea place to fade in in the song usualy after the second chorus if u dont want this add a cue at the end and start of the songs and it will go here instead

im not sure if u can add a date to the skin
il check it out

Posté Sat 23 Dec 06 @ 10:48 pm
markosolo1 wrote :
1; When i left it on automix i found that it would jump to at least halfway thru the next song on changeover, whats all that about? I thought maybe it was because i kept shuffling and reshuffling the playlist, which i have to for inspiration and requests etc.

Make sure you have the latest directX loaded -- http://www.microsoft.com/directX -- Oct 2006 is the latest

Not sure what you are asking on your second question.

cstoll

Posté Sat 23 Dec 06 @ 11:05 pm
i belive he means why does it load where it does on the existing song

say like half way when automixing

but please let us know what u mean :)

Posté Sat 23 Dec 06 @ 11:09 pm
skyfxl wrote :
i belive he means why does it load where it does on the existing song

say like half way when automixing

but please let us know what u mean :)

No, I understood that -- it was question 2.) ?

Posté Sat 23 Dec 06 @ 11:11 pm
for the skin?

Posté Sat 23 Dec 06 @ 11:22 pm
ok on Q2, the skin it has the time, and if you click on it, it switches to the counter, i wanted to know if there is any way i can get it to also do the date. on the skin/help list it has %fullhour %hour and %counter.but no date. It's no big deal but it would be nice.

thanx for the direct x thingy now i have to work out how to get it onto my laptop as it has never been online

cheers medears!

Posté Sun 24 Dec 06 @ 5:38 pm
markosolo1 wrote :
ok on Q2, the skin it has the time, and if you click on it, it switches to the counter, i wanted to know if there is any way i can get it to also do the date. on the skin/help list it has %fullhour %hour and %counter.but no date. It's no big deal but it would be nice.

thanx for the direct x thingy now i have to work out how to get it onto my laptop as it has never been online

cheers medears!

Under stand now your request - unfortunately there is no Date parameter that can be applied to a skin's textzone. Not sure of why you would need this in the application - you can always minimize the application and look at the OS's clock and get the date.

As for transferring the DirectX install - download the ReDistribution package -
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=77BC0499-19D0-46B6-A178-033D9E6C626B&displaylang=en
a 60Mb download - burn to a CD, copy to laptop and then install.

** note to all DirectX is now a Dec 2006 release **

Posté Sun 24 Dec 06 @ 5:46 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)