Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Strange noises...and a possible video fix? - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey folks...hope we are all well in the VDJ land. Had a wee thing recently. I've just reinstalled windows and VDJ onto my machine, using:

AMD Sempron 2800
1.5 gb ddr
Geforce 6600gt
1 x 40gb ide (with OS and VDJ on it)
1 x 160gb ide (with music on it)
5.1 internal soundcard
VDJ 4.1
DAC 3
Boggis's DAC 3 Mapper version 1.4

Everything seems alright, apart from a sound thing I seem to be having. I use a small 2 channel mixer with one deck for each channel from my soundcard. No worries there. Sounds fine. However, I have noticed that when I'm playing a track on deck A and I load a track into deck B, there is a low frequency 'white noise' which is audible over the speakers for the duration of the loading of track B.

Don't get me wrong. This 'grumbling' is not as loud as the music and is probably only heard by me and people sitting near my setup, but it's still there. Even with my mixer all the way over to the opposite channel I can hear it. Hell, even if the volume of that channel's way down I can still hear it!!! The noise lasts for as long as it takes for my next track to fully load onto the deck, therefore it's only for about 5 seconds, but still I can hear and i'm a bit paranoid about other people hearing it too. If I turn down both channels all the way, you can't hear it, but I can hardly turn down the channel that's playing everytime I load a track into the opposite one!!!

Has anybody else had this problem? Can anybody suggest any fixes? To let you know, I don't do scratching or anything. Don't do videos. All I do is mixing and effects...and I don't even do effects alot either. My card is an internal 5.1 Soundblaster Live card and is relatively new.

Also, some good news. Before I reinstalled, everytime I loaded a track while one was playing, my waveform would jump around all over the place, sticking, skipping etc. I was really paranoid that every time I loaded a track it was going to crash the system with this freezing thing that was going on. I wrote on the forum about it (you can check out my previous posts for further details) and hence I bought the 6600gt with 128mb ddr on board. However, this did not stop the problem. Since reinstalling, I think I have found a slight difference in the loading of tracks and the sticking is now not with every single track, but only with some. It seems to be my WMA files that stick, not my MP3's, and, seeing as about 90% of my collection is WMA's, I'm a bit cautious about this. Anyway, a possible fix I've found for this is:

After opening VDJ, go into the 'Video' tab, select 'Activate' and the wee monitor opens. Make sure 'Use Hardware Acceleration' is selected as well. I have found a considerable drop in CPU usage when loading tracks - in fact it drops on average around 40% from 100% down to 50's/60's. Please note: DO NOT CHANGE THE SKIN TO 'FULL VIDEO'. I use the 'Full Audio' skin.

The way to test if this is working for you is to CTRL-ALT-DEL your pc and go into the 'Performace' tab where you can see the green CPU usage display and graphic. This stays on top of VDJ which means that you can see what's going on behind the scenes when you load a track. Firstly, load a track without the video activated. You will note that the CPU leaps to 100% pretty quickly. Then, activate the video, resize (or even minimise) the wee monitor that comes up and load another track, either on the same deck or the opposite one. You will notice that the CPU usage is not quite as heavy - like i said, roughly around the 50 or 60 percent mark.

This is a major boost for me because my waveform doesn't jump as much. I'm quite sure this isn't the correct fix for this, but it does seem to work so I'm pretty happy with it. However, perhaps someone could advise if they know of any other ways to improve graphical performance (other than with installing a 6600gt?)

Please understand, I was only trying some different things with the VDJ setup and came across this. I'm not saying it will fix all problems with graphics or anything like that. All I would say is that this little 'experimental fix' has boosted my confidence in VDJ, so I thought I'd like to share it with you all. Hopefully it helps if you are having the same issue with graphic as I am. If it doesn't help, I apologise for wasting your time and if it does, then great...:o)

Although I'd still like to fathom out how to add the CPU graphic from Full Video skin onto the Full Audio skin!!! I've tried working with the .xml and .bmp, but just can't seem to get anywhere. Anyone got any ideas?

Anyway, sorry for the ridiculously long post.

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...(",)

P

Posté Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 1:34 pm
Anyone???

(",)

P

Posté Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 8:53 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
try lowering your proformance tab to see if that stops these strang noises

Posté Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 9:01 pm

Pionara:
- Try a different soundcard. The noize issue sounds like a defect on your card.

- The video issues. Glad you can even mix videos with hardware acceleration. That Nvida card is not recommended. But good news it works for you ;)

Posté Fri 22 Dec 06 @ 1:17 am
@ Skyfxl

The performance tab is set all the way to the left (Fastest). If I move it any way to the right, the performance slows down further.

@ Norway

The 6600gt isn't recommended? I scoured these forums for about a year looking for the best video card and 99 out of 100 posts have recommended this card. From what I've seen, DJ Cyder has sworn by it for a good while now. What do you mean it's not recommended?

Is there a card that you would recommend in it's place?

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...(",)

P

Posté Fri 22 Dec 06 @ 10:37 am

I might have to take it back, you card migth be good...

My bad ;)

Posté Fri 22 Dec 06 @ 2:12 pm
Ah...ok...(",)

If anyone else can suggest anything, please let me know.

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Posté Fri 22 Dec 06 @ 6:52 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
In fact, when you use the video, VirtualDJ "slows down" the loading in order to protect the quality of the video. That's why you can see this difference on the CPU

Posté Sat 23 Dec 06 @ 1:04 pm
Hi folks...(",) Hope you all had a fantastic christmas and new year.

I was working yesterday in a hotel doing an afternoon quiz and just basic background music. I left my system on 'automix' while I went to talk to the punters.

No mixing, no videos, no effects and after about an hour of automixing, the system froze. Completely. No music, no skin functionality, no computer functionality. Ended up having to hold in the power button to force the reboot.

I was using my mobile rig as listed above. Performance tab is set all the way to the left for 'fastest'. Nothing too taxing on the system.

Any ideas?

I'm also still getting the sound issue mentioned above. I'm pretty sure it's a soundcard issue as advised earlier, but when I tried to put a 5.1 card in, the irq was shared between the graphics card and the soundcard, slowing the system down quite considerably. I really don't want to have any irq conflicts and so I tried moving the card to a different pci slot, but still the irq was shared with something else. I don't particulary want to get an external card which is USB because I also use my dac 3, and my usb irq address is already used up by 6 usb ports. 5 of them aren't being used, but i don't want to conflit the one address with too many devices. Suggestions/ideas/comments welcome

Also, my waveform is STILL skipping about a bit when I load WMA's onto the decks. Can anyone suggest any fixes for this?

System specs listed above in my first post of this thread.

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Posté Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 2:44 pm
on proformance have you tried "autolatency"

Posté Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 2:55 pm
@ Skyfxl

My latency is set to the highest possible (can't remember how much it is - but big number in this field). I don't really worry about it because i'm not using TCV or anything.

P

Posté Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 3:49 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
When was the last time you updated your DirectX?

Posté Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 8:34 pm
Pionara wrote :
@ Skyfxl

My latency is set to the highest possible (can't remember how much it is - but big number in this field). I don't really worry about it because i'm not using TCV or anything.

P

choose auto , its better that way it calculates the best figure for your card and it reali cleans up issues

Posté Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 8:36 pm
CStoll - My last direct x install was when I installed my 6600gt. I'm using Direct X 9.0 which i got with the drivers cd for the video card.

Skyfxl - I'll give the auto latency a try and see if that improves the sound issue.

Cheers...keep spinnin'...(",)

P

Posté Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 10:13 pm
I have had NO luck with Sempron processors no matter what the ram. I have tried three and each struggled with what I think are basic duties. I don't think the Sempron is in any way ready for video but I hope you prove me wrong. I hope that your problems are not processor related but fear they are. The Sempron is a VERY entry level processor

Good Luck
Rusty

Posté Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 10:26 pm
Hmmm. Thanks Rusty.

I'm really quite gutted to be honest. As far as I'm aware, my system is absolutely fine, with perhaps the exception of the CPU. It's a 2800 which runs at about 2 ghz, which is slower than the recommended specs, but faster than what some of the other VDJ'ers are using.

This is why I'm so annoyed. I just can't seem to get rid of this problem. Trouble is, my processor is a socket a (462). Getting an upgrade on that is proving to be rather difficult...but then, would I want to?

The board can take an Athlon chip, so I may be on the lookout for one of these for this socket type, as long as it's faster than 2.0 ghz.

As a matter of interest, are you still using a sempron yourself? If not, what have you changed to?

Does anyone else have any views on the sempron cpu? Is it really not good enough for this program, no matter what the speed?

Cheers...(",)

P

Posté Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 10:51 pm
Pionara wrote :
CStoll - My last direct x install was when I installed my 6600gt. I'm using Direct X 9.0 which i got with the drivers cd for the video card.

But even then what's on the disk isn't the latest. I am sure your disk wasn't made in the latest 3 wks. which is when the latest DirectX and VDJ4.2 released. It won't hurt to give it a try?

Posté Wed 03 Jan 07 @ 12:13 am
I've just downloaded the latest drivers for my card from the nvidia website, so i'll try them.

I don't think there's been another release of directx since 9?

(",)

P

Posté Wed 03 Jan 07 @ 12:24 am
No but there have been updates - 3 of them - the latest was just about 3 weeks ago. Your right the version hasn't changed but things have been updated and they have resolved problems like you are describing.

Posté Wed 03 Jan 07 @ 12:49 am
Cool. I'll try and get the most updated version of direct x and post how i get on.

P

Posté Wed 03 Jan 07 @ 1:24 am
48%