Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Just got my Stanton DJ Pro 3000 Headphones

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Bought these because they fit my head just about perfectly. But...

Bass seems more boomy and muddy on my pair than those I demo'd at the store. I know that some companies like Sennheiser recommend a break in period where you play various styles of music through the headphones continuously for a day or two. It makes a big difference in their sound.

Are the Stantons like this as well? Is it kind of a rule for all headphones that you should give them a break in period before evaluating their sound quality, or is this something particular to Sennheiser? Compared to the demo model I heard, my Stantons sound like somebody hit the cheesy "bass boost" button on their home stereo. :(

And No...I don't have the low pass filter on. =)

Posté Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 11:44 am
PJayPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I think quite a few top makes tell you that they will sound better after a period of time. cant remember which myself but i remember reading it somewhere

Posté Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 11:57 am
Thanks, Pjay.

I've had them running for about 2 hours now and they already seem to be tightening up the bass a bit. I'll try to get a review of them up, once I think they are properly broken in.

Posté Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 12:03 pm
Ive been reading some reviews on them headphones and everyone of them has been 5 stars with nothing but praise for them. let me know what you think too when theyve be broken in more.

i use the sony v700s which are great. i always say that you cant beat having a good pair of headphones when mixing, makes it a hell of a lot easier lol
PJay

Posté Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 12:37 pm
I have the Sennheiser hd535's and they sound great. But the headphone paddig is worn out and they want a ridiculous amoutn to replace them. so I may be in the market for some headphones too

Never knew that you can break in headphones??!

Posté Sat 08 Jan 05 @ 10:44 am
I bought a pair of the Stanton 3000s and they are awesome!!! I have gone through 2 pairs of Sony 700s...nice sound but they crack at the hinges. Then I went to the new Pioneer. Sweet sound, ..one side just died after about 6 months. I tried a pair of the new Technics...sounded good but very heavy. I now use the Stantons (with a pair of Sony 700s as backup) and I love these!!! Plus the flashing LEDs look cool!

Posté Sun 09 Jan 05 @ 10:55 am
wow you go through a lot of headphones lol

Posté Sun 09 Jan 05 @ 11:11 am
Well, it's been a couple of days and I like them. :)

Pros:
--------

Comfortable (for me) --Always go try on your cans before you buy them. Let's face it, all the higher end 'phones will do the job, so pick the ones that won't cut down on your practice time because they've given you a headache.

Stylish - Just bling enough to catch the eye, but they don't scream, "Hey! Look at me!! I'm a wannabe superstar DJ!"

Volume - Man...these things can bang out the sound! I could not get them to distort at volumes below my personal pain threshold. If you need more distortion-free volume than this, you should seriously think about the harm you are doing to your hearing.

Hi-Pass/Lo-Pass filter - I didn't even care about this feature before purchasing, but now I really appreciate it. Being able to remove the high or low bands from the phones without touching your mixer's EQ is much more convenient than I had anticipated.

Detachable Cord: I love this. No more $100 headphones put out of service because somebody rolled their desk chair over my $5 cable.

Isolation: Not bad at all. If the Sennheiser 280's rate an 8, I'd give these a 6.5 or 7. You'll hear the phone ring with them on, but not if you have a song playing.

Blue LED: The rumors are true. Women are powerless against blue LEDs. I don't know what the secret is, but it attracts them like flies. The Stantons have a blue flashing LED (like the ones on each can) on the retail packaging and I didn't even get mine out of the package before I got a "Ooooo....that is cool" from my girlfriend.

Cons:
-------

Big Ear Cups: This is actually a plus for me, as I have pretty big ears but they make hanging the 'phones around your neck a bit uncomfortable.

Sound Quality: Now, don't get me wrong. They don't sound bad, but these are not audiophile headphones. Bass and treble seem a bit over the top, but I'll report back when I've used them for a mix down. I really hate to put this in the Con category, because they really do sound good...just not "pure" and "true" like my Sennheiser 280's. The Senns are better suited as general listening or mix-down headphones, imo. Playing some classical music through both pairs really shows that the Senns are designed for listening and studio work where you want balanced, pure sound while the Stantons are designed to be used with a blaring club PA system in the background.

I'll be happy to answer anyone's questions if they have any, though I can really only directly compare them to the Sennheiser 280's.

And one other thing...If you are buying these online, don't just add them to your cart and go. Stanton has a minimum advertised pricing policy with their authorized dealers. In other words, they can not show a price below the minimum Stanton tells them (though they can sell for any price they want). Before you order, call the retailer and ask them if they have a price below Stanton's MAP. I saved $20 below the MAP just by emailing before checkout.

Posté Sun 09 Jan 05 @ 5:38 pm
Thanks for your review :) They sound good
PJay

Posté Sun 09 Jan 05 @ 7:11 pm
plus i like the idea of the led's

Posté Sun 09 Jan 05 @ 7:12 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Thank you for the review, i know how important the headphones are.
I use the sennheisers HD270, -not as good sounding as the 280's- but also good isolation, and they fit much better on my head (than the 280, these had to many pressure at my ears...)
At the other hand i'm not fan of these "funcy" dj headphones (sony v700, pioneer, technics...)
I believe they are designed to sound bad, to look good, to play loud and to break easy,(for obvious reasons, dj's are a good market now)
My favorites are sennheiser HD25, but i can't afford them for now.
But after reading/trying so much, to learn everything about headphones, i'm convinced that the more simple designs are the more reliable and confortable (this is so important)
Believe it or not i just ...made my best dj headphone.
I used a headband from my 15 years old HD40, very simple just a piece of plastic but very durable.
And i bought sennheiser hd202. These are very cheap (26 euro) but sound good enough, and believe it 115db spl, at 32 Ohm they are really loud. Isolation is not bad at all, and the earcups can be removed from the headband.
All these because i wanted a single sided headpone.
I changed the cables myself using good qualty, 6.3 jack so no adaptor..
This way i have now 2 single sided -so comfordable- dj headhones...
plus my 270's, also the AKG K-240M (they are the 1200MK2 of the headphones...) for studio/mixdown etc. some other ...philips (they are not bad either)
And a box full of older broken headphone parts from all these years...

Posté Mon 10 Jan 05 @ 2:47 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)