Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet external hard drives

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi all,
I have a very large music collection and will only get larger as I continue being the "super cool Virtual DJ" that I am!
Anyways, is there a red or green light to using an external drive to house all my music or is it better to keep those files on the system drive within my laptop?
Gracias amigos!
Junito Perez

Posté Thu 06 Nov 08 @ 1:03 pm
xonorPRO InfinityMember since 2005
The access of the internal drive it's faster than an external one.
I have all my music in the internal drive, and i don't have any cable more than the power supply.

Of course i have a backup in an external drive.

De nada amigo!!

Posté Thu 06 Nov 08 @ 1:34 pm
that's good to know....gracias...
Junito Perez

Posté Thu 06 Nov 08 @ 1:54 pm
djpr1PRO InfinityMember since 2008
Junito

I've always run my external with all my music with no problem.
I got a Western Digital 500gb and 320gb.
I've had tried both ways and i see no difference, i like to keep them on my external cause my lappy stays clean and fast.

Posté Fri 07 Nov 08 @ 7:14 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
if using an external hd make sure it has an operating speed of 7200 or higher, i couldn't fit what i use on an internal drive, always remember to use the same usb port everytime you plug it in and you will have no problems with an ehd.

Posté Fri 07 Nov 08 @ 8:16 am
wow guys, I really appreciate the feedback.
I am getting so much great music and my 160 gb internal drive will fill quickly.
That being said and since:
a) I am new to managing PC-Windows (operating on Vista and i really like it)
b) totally new to digital DJ'ing
Can I get some tips on how I would transfer my ITUNES collection to an external drive and will VDJ find the path regardless if my ITUNES collection is internal or external?
Thanks again,
Junito Perez

Posté Fri 07 Nov 08 @ 9:18 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Use whatever works best for you basically. My laptop has two internal HDDs, so I run the OS on one, and a large chunk of my media library on the other. I have more stored on an external, which also serves as one of my backups.

Posté Fri 07 Nov 08 @ 11:22 am
junito42 wrote :
wow guys, I really appreciate the feedback.
I am getting so much great music and my 160 gb internal drive will fill quickly.
That being said and since:
a) I am new to managing PC-Windows (operating on Vista and i really like it)
b) totally new to digital DJ'ing
Can I get some tips on how I would transfer my ITUNES collection to an external drive and will VDJ find the path regardless if my ITUNES collection is internal or external?
Thanks again,
Junito Perez

Virtual DJ doesn't care where you store your files, just browse to the location your music is located. If you start moving files around iTunes might may not be able to find the files since they got moved from the location they were orginally saved to. Also, note that if your buying music from iTunes they DRM protect the files unless they are iTunes Plus files.

Posté Fri 07 Nov 08 @ 11:46 am
I am rub ram PC5300 DDR2 SDRAMnning virtual 5.1 on my liobap top and lately it's locking up on me when I start typing a song. I have one WD 750GB external hooked up to my laptop. there's approx 500gb of music on the external. I am storing no music or anything else other than virtual on my laptop.

when i start to type a song i get a quick screen that says sorting and it's obviously searching the drive. the laptop is 5 months old and used for nothing but virtual. Toshiba intel pentium dual core 1g pcs 5300 ddr2 sdram.

not sure if its the laptop or the hard drive. most times virtual runs seemlessly but lately it's been locking up and I can't trust it.

any help or suggestions? do i need to adjust my settings?

thanks

Posté Sat 08 Nov 08 @ 1:11 am
FotobroPRO InfinityMember since 2018
tayla wrote :
if using an external hd make sure it has an operating speed of 7200 or higher, i couldn't fit what i use on an internal drive, always remember to use the same usb port everytime you plug it in and you will have no problems with an ehd.

Tayla,
A friend was using VDJ and was experiencing crashes with an external hard drive and after several he figured it out. His external hard drive was in a powersave mode and spinning down causing it to crash. He changed the settings so the drive never spins down.--g

Posté Sat 08 Nov 08 @ 10:17 pm
tayla wrote :

OK, that's with external hard drives...

What about the internal harddrive of a PC? For running VirtualDJ. Can you get away with a 5400rpm?

http://www.virtualdj.com/homepage/djchris73/blogs/3210/My_Laptop_Specs_.html

Posté Thu 20 Nov 08 @ 8:14 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
djchris73 wrote :
What about the internal harddrive of a PC? For running VirtualDJ. Can you get away with a 5400rpm?

I don't know if this helps, but I had a little old 80gig external harddrive, when I first started with VirtualDJ. It was only powered by one usb port and that only spun at 5400rpm. I didn't have any problem with that at all.

Posté Thu 20 Nov 08 @ 8:22 pm
yep, I was operating with the internal drive at 5400 rpm and no problems. My new external drive is 7200. Sweet!
Junito Perez

Posté Thu 20 Nov 08 @ 9:42 pm
thanks jimmy b and junito.

Posté Fri 21 Nov 08 @ 1:17 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)