Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Music discussion

Sujet Club Mixing - Page: 15

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

spinashHome userMember since 2009
Hey Wow

Happey New year to all VDJ Users

During the Christmas I Hosted a jam at one Night Club that was so curious.

the guys there checked ma Mixes.

They really Loved using VDJ cuz it has so many Functions

They loved the Backspin,Beatgrid And that Fucking horn.thank To VDJ and Ma Great

Teacher Double Double Ooooooooo.

I Applied The Skilss he gave to me at theis forum over there and the ppls feeeeeeld me like a king on a ride

Thank You once Agin Double Ooooooo.

I am here to Thank All those too who gave me the skills and ideas they also have.

There is one thing ii was looking for in the VDj but did not find it in it........

1.I needed the rashorn but it was not in it.

I can only find the rashorn in the Numark cue But i didn't love that during the Christmas season......

Thanks again

Double Oooooooo.... Please How do i get the ras horn that we can find in the Numark Cue in the VDJ can you help me.

Hope to here form you back again ...Givn me 2010 VDJ and Djing Skills......... Thank you

Posté Tue 12 Jan 10 @ 3:36 pm
hei
Gabi

Posté Fri 15 Jan 10 @ 9:32 am
Yowww

Ma Men Howdys

No one come to this forum

Posté Mon 18 Jan 10 @ 2:54 pm
Understanding what people want

Now there’s a topic and open to many interpretations.

So let’s start with a basic perception.

What do people want?

Well depending on the Club, age group, lifestyle etc it can be many things.

So whatever your taste is, experience the music at a club that plays what you want to play.

Playing and experiencing music are two different things.

We as DJ's are focused on the intricacies of mixing, mashing, beat matching etc.

The average listener enjoys the music as the artist created it and the dancer wants to move their body to the music.

Experience the music as a listener and as a dancer!

Then you will have three perceptions, one as a listener, one as a dancer and one as a DJ.

Then go to that club and listen all night to what you like and don't like and add this to your style of what to do or not do.

The same goes for dancing go and dance! If you hate dancing learn to dance anyway so you can understand what a dancer wants from the music.

As Double 0 mentioned, do your research.

Research comprises many areas and those that I mentioned about experiencing the music from the perspective of the listener and dancer are two primary areas to focus on.

When you are going to play at a particular club get to know the DJ's talk with them and ask to use their play list as model to work from. After all they are the masters, learn and study from the masters always and all ways.

As you gain experience and confidence then you can begin to carefully deviate from their play styles and music to your own.

By that time you will have developed your own following.

People are very aware of who is playing a particular night and will club hop between the DJ's they like.

The concept of studying the masters is not new. Every artist in every artistic field has employed this concept of studying the master and reproducing their styles.

It is from learning and performing their styles that you will form your own unique style.

My passion for music began as a listener. I hated dancing and refused to dance, well then one night it happened and I became a dancing fool.

So before I started DJ ing I had accomplished two perspectives, listening and dancing to music with each one offering different levels of understanding the music in its relationship to whether I was just listening or dancing.

When I am in a listening mood, I am open to re-makes, re-mixes of old songs etc. and may even come to like the new version.

As a dancer I get used to a particular piece of music and how to dance to it. If a new version or different mix comes along to soon, I’m not very happy with it.

It’s best to introduce a new version or mix when the original has faded from the top play lists, do this at the beginning of the night before the floor is packed or you risk clearing the dance floor.

I was also aware of modeling the play styles of the DJ's at the time so when my time came, it was incredible and well worth all the time I spent researching and modeling their play style. I packed the dance floor from beginning to end.

During the night people would come up to me and ask isn’t that so and so’s music? I said, yes it is and I’m playing it in honor of him.

That is how a DJ can impact people, they remember.

So that was my beginning and that was many years after the DJ I had studied had long been out of the scene.

Lastly, increase your musical horizons! AVOID being limited to just one style of music.

And remember, like it or not people are in various states of um altered thinking throughout the night.

So you’re also playing to their state of mind.

That is another subject for another day.

Peace

Posté Sat 27 Feb 10 @ 8:43 pm
That thing really helped me out, the thing that i miss doing when i was dee-jay-ing was the MIDDLE of the warm-up and "hot-time" and now i learnt it, and the 2nd thing that i've learnt is taking a break during "hot-time"

good post and thank you !

Posté Wed 10 Mar 10 @ 7:48 pm
PjockHome userMember since 2010
Mixing while looping is a good way of scratching an sync to the beat.
8) It's cool

Basically: Techno, Hip-Hop, Rap, & MC.

Simple just have instrumental or mixed with vocal in one or two deck.
Have a partial vocal of your 2nd deck what ever is comfortably either scratching the 1st or 2nd deck.
Have your loop sample induced to you an have a mix night 24/7 mix party in your radio station.

Posté Tue 23 Mar 10 @ 3:07 pm
good post ;)

I want to know how do i download musioc to my virtualdj program?

Posté Fri 26 Mar 10 @ 11:11 am
If you review my original post, it contains at least eight phases of Club Mixing. I’ve made-up descriptive titles for each phase so you can see them as a chain of events that occur for an audio adventure. As you read each phase, imagine yourself as a DJ Pilot that has the responsibility of taking the passengers (the crowd) in a club on an audio adventure. Here are the eight phases with brief descriptions:

1.The Preparation Phase-You properly preparing yourself to take the crowd on an audio adventure. You have your sets arranged so that you can take your passengers on different directions during the audio adventure. Just as a pilot is prepared to encounter different conditions during a flight, your sets are prepared to encounter different conditions at the club.

2.The Arrival Phase-Just as a pilot arrives earlier and checks his equipment in the cockpit, you also arrive early and check the equipment at the club. When your passengers begin to arrive, you play music that’s appropriate for their arrival. Since this is considered social time, your music should set a social mood.

3.The Waiting Phase-As the passengers are waiting for the audio adventure to start, you occasional play dance music to see how they respond. This allows you to obtain an idea of what to include in the audio adventure and what direction it should go in. You scan the passengers and focus on energetic women who seem to be in the dancing mood. You know that they are usually the first to respond to the next phase.

4.The Boarding Phase-You consistently play the kind of music your passengers want to hear so they will board the dance floor. Furthermore, the music prepares the passengers for the start of the audio adventure. You might also introduce some beatmixing to the passengers during this phase.

5.The Departure Phase-The passengers are on the floor so you begin to depart on the audio adventure. Consequently, you play music they expect to hear and don't expect music. You also become more creative with your mixing. However, you must remember that the music is what has them on the floor, not your mixing. Something else you consider doing is using a recording device to record the audio adventure just as a pilot uses a black box to record flight data.

6.The Stratosphere Phase-This is the extended emotional high you take the passengers to during your audio adventure. You have gotten them so emotionally high with your music and mixing that they cannot leave the floor. You can tell when you arrive at this phase by how intense your passengers are dancing. There are other people who cannot board the dance floor because it's too crowded so they dance around the edges of it—if they can. The floor stays this way until the next phase.

7.The Dive Phase-You quickly drop the tempo during the audio adventure so the passengers and you can take a break. This phase also allows the club to make more money on drinks. After this phase has ended, you quickly repeat phases 4 and 5 so you can get the passengers back to phase 6. You can accomplish this within two songs. Here’s an example: play a song that you know will pack the floor (phase 4), give your passengers the unexpected by echoing out part of the song and then let it continue to play (phase 5), you then use your creative mixing skills to introduce another hit song into the mix; consequently, you have quickly arrived at phase 6.

8.The Landing Phase-Just as a pilot gradually descends while landing, you also gradually slow down the tempo until the audio adventure has ended. Some of your passengers will leave the club before you have ended the audio adventure. Once the audio adventure is finally over, the other passengers will realize that it is time for them to also leave.

Since some phases require more explaining than others, I will address each phase separately. Therefore, look for future posts that explore each phase in more detail.

OO

Posté Tue 06 Apr 10 @ 9:15 pm
hey thanks for the tips i will be sure to practice them every trip thank

Posté Tue 06 Apr 10 @ 9:16 pm
KarimGHome userMember since 2010
Thank you so much! this helps me alot.

:)

Posté Fri 16 Apr 10 @ 1:24 pm
I have always been a house ( techno, trance,funky e.t.c ) DJ and mainly played at clubs that are geared up for that type of music. The people come to the club to hear house music, they have a preconceived idea of what to expect but are also open to new ideas.
I have also had residency at a few clubs and sometimes you might have to do a midweek night when you never know who is going to turn up.
In this situation you have to be very adaptable with your playlist.
I did however find playing on these occasions easier than playing to a regular sat night crowd when playing house and mixing everything perfect.
The main reason was that the media through MTV and radio e.t.c almost defines what you should play with a mixed bag audience. You know what people want to hear because they want to hear music that is out there in the media. Also older songs that people recognize are easy to play.
The differences are that with a regular crowd that knows what music genre to expect and pay to have that experience usually want good music, good mixing and something new and they expect a DJ to follow their mood.
With a mixed bag audience they expect the DJ to recognize what type of music they want to hear and don't care so much about mixing e.t.c

Overall on one side you are observing the mood and energy of the audience ( which i find harder ) Trying to gauge someones mood is an intricate business, while people will be up there dancing are they looking happy do they even want to look happy or are they just so into the music they are in a world of their own e.t.c

On the other side you are observing the personalities and taste of the audience ( this i find easier ) people dress a certain way based on their personalities and often musical tastes. Big groups of girls will often want fun pop music that they can have a laugh with. Big groups of guys often want something that gets the girls dancing and maybe ( if they are lucky ) can have a sexy dance with the girl " YES SEX IS A HUGE PART OF CLUBBING " but they also like songs they can sing to and have fun with. It is far easier to observe the audience and play what they want when there is no preconceived expectations of the music genre.

Having said that I prefer to play at a night that has a specific musical genre because when u get it right you are not just someone playing music you are instead some sort of prodigy or genius. Dj's have achieved god like status because of this.

On the other hand playing to a mixed crowd can be a lot of fun and you can really enjoy yourself playing some old classics or having fun with the audience.

The most important thing to remember when DJing is this "WHATEVER WORKS", purists will say this is the right way and thats the wrong way e.t.c and have a set idea.

I was similar myself when i was young and started out and I learned the hard way that you are there to do a job and keep the audience happy. Your own personal music taste doesn't matter nor does your creative Dj skills if you are not playing for the audience.

One last thing is that if you are playing a regular night and you have regular people then get to know them and find out what they like to dance to, these will be your biggest asset because if you get them dancing then people will join them.
Take your head away from the Dj booth and out on to the dancefloor, all the information is right there you just have to get good at knowing what your looking for.

Posté Sat 17 Apr 10 @ 10:34 pm
robsarjPRO InfinityMember since 2010
ROCKETMAN731 wrote :
DOUBLE O (QUOTE)

Once upon a time, I went to a friend’s birthday party at a club. The DJ there was the worst DJ that I’ve ever heard. The DJ actually let songs play together on any beat. It sounded like I was at a horse track that was next to a construction site. He couldn’t even fade the songs in and out of the mix right because he let the songs clash together too long. Yes, it did make dancing difficult when he attempted beat mixing. However, the crowd stayed on the floor because he played the right kind of music.

After the party, some people asked me what I thought of the DJ. I told them that he was the worst DJ that I have ever heard, and I explained why. However, to my surprise, the people that I talked to said they thought he was good. Their only concern was the music that he played, which they loved. They did not care about how poorly he had mixed the music. I realized that the crowd listens to mixed music different than a DJ—we listen to how music is mixed, and the crowd listens to the music that is mixed. Consequently, it’s the crowds’ opinion that matters the most.

WOW this is so true and the best post I have read Double O, it is at the point that I feel way to many Dj over mix, people on the dance at times have this zombie look trying to find out what the Dj is going to play. A lot of people have a drink before they get to the club then drink at the club......do you realy think they care or remember how good or bad how the Dj was mixing but the one thing that dose matter was the DJ playing the right music........good mixing vs good music......round 1.

This is very true. I had this conversation earlier today. My buddy and I were listening to a mix we recorded, now we said there was some mixes off, it could have been cleaner. Everyone in attendance however didn't notice a thing, they love the selection.

Its important to be able to mix great, but sometimes it comes down to your selection. Are you playing what the crowd wants to hear, or are you playing what you think they want? I ask myself that every time I look on the dance floor.

Posté Wed 21 Apr 10 @ 7:05 pm
Thanks this helped me alot i was just coming up with some beats that sounded pretty good

Posté Thu 22 Apr 10 @ 12:47 pm
Hey All! I'm very new to Virtual DJ, I've been playing with it for about a month and I LOVE IT. I'm a turntablist that has finally made the conversion to 460gigs of mp3, mp4 and Virtual DJ.

I use my Virtual DJ (Laptop) split into my 2 channel Pioneer DJM 300, and then master out of that into whatever amp/board/house mixer ect. I love it. I can pack my whole system (not inc. my sound of course) in like 5 minutes, all into one backpack... One back back of Vinyl weighs like.. 40lbs?

I've been trolling through the forums, always eager to pick up from those wiser than myself and this thread is great, great threads for great minds thinking!

Every DJ can add something to the conversation and all these contributors knocked it out of the park, but one thing I felt like I never saw was anything about having FUN!

It's very important that you the DJ be having the most fun out there. I get excited when I drop a new bass line and see like 4 sexy ladies hop up from their seat at the bar and do the "OMGiggleSQUEALE." When I see that I do a little check in my head, "why did that just happen?" Cuzz these ladies are Latinas and I dropped a fat remix of Calo Ocho? Are they those sex goddesses that dance in the mirror and your beats make them feel more alive? What did I do? In reality I cheese, I'm sure my goofy grins are photo ops every time... Look at Fatboy Slim... yakno?

As the DJ you create, manifest, and ARE the party. Maybe it's egocentric to have that mentality, but what DJ do you know that wouldn't admit that? It's our job, it's us, it's what WE DO. If you're not having fun, then look into baking, or something.
Everything in life, the club, the mix... It's all a collection of moments that you bring these people's night. A - Z pay attention and manipulate these moments and have FUN doing it!

Posté Thu 29 Apr 10 @ 10:02 am

Posté Sun 16 May 10 @ 11:19 pm
l23royHome userMember since 2010
If I am doing a bar/back room gig i tend to plan the first few tracks of every hour, with every hour picking up....this is good for your confidence as you know the tunes like the back of your hand and you know your first 4 tunes of the hour are going to be flawless mixes and blend well together...as well as giving folk who are after requests an indication of what to expect during the night.

i also try and stick to a rule that every 5th tune should be well known doesnt matter if its old or new just a tune that is going to catch everyones attention, especially the ladies, if you get the girls on the floor the rest falls into place....i consider my self a bit of a musical geek hense becoming a DJ but i also appreciate that there are folk who just want to dance so sometimes the underground tunes i spend hours looking for goes over peoples heads....the other night i played an hour of new tunes i am talking weeks/days old and got asked to play something new!!?? i was not happy as i was gagging on playing my new stuff but i was in a club that is deemed as a commercial club so i should of known better.

also the first 2 hours (if you are starting) is not about flawless mixing, keep a steady flow yes but as previous posts said the first hour is where the clientel are finding their feet waiting for friends etc so try and be diverse with the music....you want some funk & soul drop in some reggae and hip hop basically music you can chat but bop your head too i tend to keep in the range of 105 to 115 BPM and litterly using the channels to fad in & out....once i am ready to step up to 4-4 house i will make sure my first tune has a long intro so there is still a steady flow you will see an instant reaction to the first beat when the tempo is increased 9 times out of 10 the dance floor should fill (hopefully haha) when it does its time to play with the crowd again trying to keep in the 5th tune vocal rule you now have the freedom to bring down the tempo for a couple of songs i tend to bring these in if the current tune as a decent size break again so the flow is kept.

again for for a back room / bar gig drop the tempo for the last ten minutes this helps the bar staff and the bouncers tie to clear everyone out.

as for main room gigs you are there cos you are expected to play what the night has advertised, so stick with that. you can still drop some classics but i would say the crowd is expecting a certain genre so keep rocking it untill you are told to shut down!!!....AND HOPE YOU GET THE 'ONE LAST TUNE CHANT'

Posté Tue 15 Jun 10 @ 11:26 am
hi!

Posté Sun 27 Jun 10 @ 10:04 am
Are there 2 house songs that are good for starting out to mix?

Any suggestions?

Posté Mon 12 Jul 10 @ 9:07 pm
djdamo1PRO (legacy)Member since 2010
Hi Guys, its been a long time since I dj'd bau am digging out the music and starting again! I used to use Virtua DJ v4.1. It had a great little function where you could right click the sync to sync the two tracks, then in the middle of the screen there was an auto mix button wich when pressed mixed/crossfaded the tracks together. Is this still available on the newer versions and if so on which ones?
Ta

Posté Wed 28 Jul 10 @ 2:37 am
Good and Intresting Forum

Posté Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 1:49 pm
72%