Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Music discussion

Sujet Club Mixing - Page: 14

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Posté Fri 06 Nov 09 @ 11:05 am
@woodenchair

I hope some of the youtube tutorials helped. You have to be patient and practice. I use to practice for hours each day. I would even record my practice mixes and make comparisons with other practice mixes to see if I had improved. I would also let other DJs listen and critique my practice mixes.

I recommend learning beat mixing first so that when you add the baby scratch and other scratches to your mixing, you will more than likely do it on beat. If you use the baby scratch transition with music of various tempos, you can try to mix music with the closet bpms together first. For example: the songs that you want to play in your set are in the range of 100, 120, 140, 160 bpms. Instead of using the baby scratch to transition from the 100 bpm song to the 160 bpm song, you could transition from 100 bpms to 120 bpms and gradually transition your way to 160 bpms. If the transitions are done on beat, the crowd will make the adjustment to the gradual increase in speed while keeping on beat with the music.

Once you can do the above transitions, try simulating taking the crowd on a rollercoaster ride. Using the above example, you could transition from 100 bpms to 140 bpms. Play a few songs at 140 bpms and transition to 120bpms. Play a few songs at 120 bpms and transition to 160 bpms. Both examples would be impossible to do with beat mixing without having to adjust the bpms. When using the baby scratch transition, you do not need to change the bpms of the music to transition it.

However, you can change the bpms of the music when using the baby scratch transition is if the music in the set are close to the same bpms and you want that set to be a certain bpm. Remember, as a DJ, you control how fast the crowd dances on the floor. For example: let’s imagine that the songs in this set range from 100 bpms to 140 bpms. You decide that the dance floor tempo will be 120 bpms. Therefore, you adjust the music to 120 bpms before scratching it in. You also have given yourself the option to beat mix since the bpms are the same.

I know that it seems like a lot to know before DJing, but you can start DJing with the basics in a club. If you learn beat mixing and the baby scratch transition, you will have two basic DJing skills that can definitely entertain the crowd. Don’t worry about making mistakes when DJing because they do happen and the crowd will not remember them. Your goal is to make as few mistakes as possible while entertaining the crowd.

If you remember the following advice that I’ve preached through out this thread, it will help you become a good DJ:

“Remember, the crowd is more concerned with hearing good music than hearing you mix good. Therefore, mixing skills are not as important as mixing the right kind of music.”

Consequently, it is the crowd who ultimately determines if you are a good DJ in my opinion. I will explain my opinion by using the following true story:

Once upon a time, I went to a friend’s birthday party at a club. The DJ there was the worst DJ that I’ve ever heard. The DJ actually let songs play together on any beat. It sounded like I was at a horse track that was next to a construction site. He couldn’t even fade the songs in and out of the mix right because he let the songs clash together too long. Yes, it did make dancing difficult when he attempted beat mixing. However, the crowd stayed on the floor because he played the right kind of music.

After the party, some people asked me what I thought of the DJ. I told them that he was the worst DJ that I have ever heard, and I explained why. However, to my surprise, the people that I talked to said they thought he was good. Their only concern was the music that he played, which they loved. They did not care about how poorly he had mixed the music. I realized that the crowd listens to mixed music different than a DJ—we listen to how music is mixed, and the crowd listens to the music that is mixed. Consequently, it’s the crowds’ opinion that matters the most.

My point is that the crowd does not value mixing the same way a DJ does. The crowd does not care if the music they want to hear is beatmixed, scratched, looped, etc…. Their only concern is that the music gets played! So play it the best way that you know how while learning how to become a better DJ. Although the crowd might not care about how good you mix, you should always strive to be the best DJ that you can!

OO

Posté Sun 08 Nov 09 @ 10:07 am
spinashHome userMember since 2009
Thanks Doble O,,

I loved Ur Answers,

Great Thanks Again,I was away for some weeks now and i am now back.

i got that great answers that Double o sent to me. I did love them.

But I was not well Cleared and explain of how to creat ma own Dj Jingle or sampler without using Virtual Dj or VDJ

Dont you know any software that i can use it to creat a sampler or a jingle without making somone talking tru the mic for editing and adding effects as well....

Double ooo can also List all the Keys that we use on VDJ for me,,,Luike i cant Scratch using the Keyboard Unless i use the mouse to Backspin,,,How do i Backspin ,,Please Kindly Help me with well Explained of how i will go about them.

Will like to here form you soon.

Posté Tue 10 Nov 09 @ 9:34 am
I say Again ! ! !

I Rate Double oo as a Pro Of VDJ

From now On i will kall Double OO as DJ Boss

Da Boss Of Club mixing with all his Great Technics.

Double.....I leant you didnt tell me any technics Used When You Club Djing or Djing Ones Gig

Can you share Djing Technics You have with me..

Like How to Ryme,Or talk When you have ppl On da Dance floor.

I will really appreciate it even if you make an example of your own and upload at any file sharing zone so that i can download and lern it ....

As i told ya i am just 19 Ghanian Boy.And i really wan be a great Dj In Ma country.And i will dream One day to Inmvite You here for a serious Clubing..

2>>>>> Double OO" Says ((( Don’t worry about making mistakes when DJing because they do happen and the crowd will not remember them. )))

Spinash Que:Dont ya Know it will be shamefull when your co luges and your senior Djs come around to see You messing up or
making mistake when Mixing a Beat....

I think that will be bad.

It doesn't matter if you playing a great Musicz or a popular music here,when you Play da sound anyhow ""It will sound to them you are Playing empty tin containers.

And that can be some crown to me.

You see Ghana Is difrentz from US,Ur country and Other Leading Countries.???

So Tryna Make me clear of thngs Double ooo for i do Trust ya ..

but dont forget to gv me the rymes or how to talk while spining(Sample Of how to talk)

Eg: Yeah

Ladies $ Jentlemen

Alright Ppl

This DJ Spinash

All da way From MC Donald's Club.

That sort,Will Be willing to get reply back form ya soon..

Posté Tue 10 Nov 09 @ 11:22 am
spinash wrote :
Double OO" Says ((( Don’t worry about making mistakes when DJing because they do happen and the crowd will not remember them. ))).

Dont ya Know it will be shamefull when your co luges and your senior Djs come around to see You messing up or
making mistake when Mixing a Beat....

I think that will be bad.

I either didn’t explain myself clearly or you misunderstood what I posted, so I’ll try to be clearer this time.

If you look at the beginning of my last post, it was meant for woodenchair. Since it appears that he is new to DJing, I posted the above to encourage him as a beginner DJ. I wouldn’t want him or you to get discouraged because mistakes were made while DJing in public. You must understand that a DJ is human and will make mistakes, so don’t feel bad when it happens—improve! However, if a DJ is making too many mistakes, he or she is probably not ready to perform in public. Nevertheless, that is purely a personal decision.

Not only will the crowd not remember mistakes made while DJing, it will not even notice unless you make an obvious mistake. One time I was DJing with a dual CD player and accidentally turned it off while performing a set. That is an example of an obvious mistake. From my experience, even if you do make an obvious mistake, the crowd does not care—the crowd only cares about what you play, not how you play it. If you don’t believe me, then read this again:

Double O wrote :
Once upon a time, I went to a friend’s birthday party at a club. The DJ there was the worst DJ that I’ve ever heard. The DJ actually let songs play together on any beat. It sounded like I was at a horse track that was next to a construction site. He couldn’t even fade the songs in and out of the mix right because he let the songs clash together too long. Yes, it did make dancing difficult when he attempted beat mixing. However, the crowd stayed on the floor because he played the right kind of music.

After the party, some people asked me what I thought of the DJ. I told them that he was the worst DJ that I have ever heard, and I explained why. However, to my surprise, the people that I talked to said they thought he was good. Their only concern was the music that he played, which they loved. They did not care about how poorly he had mixed the music. I realized that the crowd listens to mixed music different than a DJ—we listen to how music is mixed, and the crowd listens to the music that is mixed. Consequently, it’s the crowds’ opinion that matters the most.

Believe it or not, the person in my story is still DJing. Therefore, if you are more concerned with impressing “senior Djs [that] come around to see you” then you are making the biggest mistake when Club Mixing—not focusing on the crowd. Here’s another true story that I posted in this thread about the subject (read the 1st, 4th, and 6th posts):

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/9931/Mix_lessons/Club_Mixing.html?page=3

I will conclude my message to you by restating a point that I’ve already made:

Double O wrote :
My point is that the crowd does not value mixing the same way a DJ does. The crowd does not care if the music they want to hear is beatmixed, scratched, looped, etc…. Their only concern is that the music gets played! So play it the best way that you know how while learning how to become a better DJ. Although the crowd might not care about how good you mix, you should always strive to be the best DJ that you can!

OO

Posté Thu 12 Nov 09 @ 11:11 am
figo0Home userMember since 2008
thxx

Posté Tue 17 Nov 09 @ 8:15 am

Posté Wed 18 Nov 09 @ 11:03 pm
Oh i see.I am now Clear with what ma Senior Dj Double OO said.

Thanks for that again.I even notice it always happen to me when mixing up a beat.

But there will be some gist mistakes in the Pitch Bending.

There may be a slight mistake but not too much and even peopls do not notice them.

It Is because i dont know how to bend the pitch when i beat match or mix so tracks.

I am using A Keyboard and i dont use the controller.Again how do i go about that Double Oooo.

How can i Pitch bend to beat match or mix well with the other Track.

Posté Sat 21 Nov 09 @ 2:04 pm
The best way to improve your beat mixing is to get a licensed version of VDJ. If you don’t need all the features in the Professional version, get an inexpensive controller that comes with the limited edition of VDJ. Using the pitch controls on the controller will allow you to beat mix better than using a keyboard in my opinion. Here’s a link to some controllers; scroll down to all-in-one controllers (make sure it comes with the limited edition of VDJ):

http://www.virtualdj.com/products/hardware.html

You can also try ebay. However, if the previous owner has registered the software, you will be unable to do so. This will prevent you from accessing plugins, skins, and updates.

You might find these links helpful:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/110854/General_Discussion/shortcuts_config.html

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/116812/General_Discussion/virtual_DJ__fine_pitch_control_question___a_couple_other_small_things__.html

You must to understand the fundamentals of beat mixing. Read this guide by dj-in-norway:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/6288/Mix_lessons/DJ_MIXING___basic_-_advanced_-_pro.html

One simple way that I recommend a beginner to beat mix is to apply the following steps:

1. Use the VDJ sync feature to match the bpms of the song that you want to bring into the mix with the song that’s playing.

2. Find an instrumental part in the song that you want to bring into the mix.

3. Do an 8 beat loop on the instrumental part of the song that you want to bring into the mix.

4. Use your ears to make adjustments to the pitch until both songs are on beat.

5. Once you have both songs on beat, slowly fade in the other song and fade out the song that’s playing. If you want to minimize clashes with the down beats in both songs, I would recommend the simple method of reducing the lows on the song that’s playing while fading in the next song. Some DJs like to reduce the lows in the song that's being faded into the mix. However, it is too easy for a beginner to forget to restore the lows back to the song that was faded into the mix. Nevertheless, try both methods and use what works best for you.

6. Exit the loop.

7. Go to a cue point within the song that occurs before the loop if you desire.

I hope this helps you.

OO

Posté Mon 23 Nov 09 @ 12:42 pm
Thanks ,Thanks,Thanks

Well Done Teacher

Im Am now clear and things keeep going trough with what you have been telling me to do .

I also read tha directed post of Dj in norway. It also hel;ped me and Improved my Act Of playing songs in order.

But Double Oooo ..I cant Purchase The Controler here in ma country

Cuz Ghana Dont USe Credit card ,,How can i Buy that manualy using Physical Cash...

Also i want you to paste some of ur mixes here so that i can download and try if i can also make ma own....

You know a teacher cant teach his student without showing him any Practical or a test ..

so paste me some of ur past mixes and let me tryna learn ...

Hope to here back form ya and once again Thanks

Thanks..

Thanks.

Great Double Ooooooooooooooo !!!!

Posté Wed 02 Dec 09 @ 5:21 am
DJeezzHome userMember since 2009
all the links are invalid:
computers fault??

Posté Mon 07 Dec 09 @ 11:10 am
All the links on this page work.

spinash wrote :
Also i want you to paste some of ur mixes here so that i can download and try if i can also make ma own....

You know a teacher cant teach his student without showing him any Practical or a test ..

so paste me some of ur past mixes and let me tryna learn ...

There are numerous tutorials on youtube to help you improve. However, I think it is almost impossible to learn beat mixing by watching a video; you need to practice…. However, when I get the chance, I will try to put together a brief beat mixing by ear explanation and post it in this thread. If you understand the fundamentals, beat mixing is very easy. Automated beat mixing is one feature of DJing software that I don’t like because it has become a crutch for many DJs who don’t want to take the time to learn the fundamentals of beat mixing. In fact, it's prosthetics for many beginning DJs—don’t be like them! Therefore, listen to VDJ Radio and try to perform the same mixes that you hear by ear.

http://radio.virtualdj.com/live/

OO

Posté Wed 09 Dec 09 @ 9:55 am
Alright .....

Thank you very Much.

I am not feeling well for today with this post.

I recently heard about this NUMARK cue.

Is that good ....For me the beginner.....Tell me the one good

Cuz i can see that its more easy than VDJ Pro.

Can you advice me on this ....

I will have ask so many quesions..

But im not feeling well i just wan know WHat you thnik

Posté Fri 11 Dec 09 @ 2:02 pm
CUE and VDJ are the same program. You will get updates faster with VDJ Pro because it has priority over CUE. If you can’t afford either VDJ Pro or CUE right now, consider using free DJ programs that allow you to mix instead of an unlicensed version of VDJ. Here's a link to a program that I’ve tried:

http://www.mixxx.org/

It is a very simple program to use and beat mix with. It also allows you to use certain controllers and time-coded vinyl:

http://www.mixxx.org/features.php

Although it is very limited in features, you can actually mix very well with it. If you don’t like it, click here and try another program (make sure it’s not a demo version):

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=free+dj+mixing+software&aq=1&oq=free+dj&aqi=g10

Here’s another program that I’ve tried:

http://www.kramware.com/

These programs are ok, but VDJ is the best! Use one of them until you can afford VDJ Pro.

OO

Posté Mon 14 Dec 09 @ 9:33 am
Well Done Ma teacher,,

Thanks You Very Very Mach..

Wow

I will try that software.

Great Job.....

I use to Use PCDJ red V 5.2

For that im Master In beat Mixing there.If you want i can beat mix and paste here for you to mark ma mistakes

Thanks again.........

I will be back

Posté Wed 16 Dec 09 @ 7:14 am
Don’t forget to read this:

http://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/manual

It will tell you how to beatmatch and mix with this program. It also has the keyboard shortcuts like the ones you tried to get for VDJ.

If you have any questions about the software, use this forum:

http://www.mixxx.org/forums/

You will not find me there because I use VDJ. I’m sure someone on that forum can answer any additional questions that you may have. If you have some general DJing questions, it's ok to use the Mix Lessons Forum here to post your questions.

OO

Posté Wed 16 Dec 09 @ 2:35 pm
hey people...just listen some songs what i remixed in all this years since i am using virtual dj www.trilulilu.ro/djflorian/audio

Posté Sun 20 Dec 09 @ 6:26 pm
Yeaaaaaaaaaa

Less i forget .

Double Ooooo ,,, How can i get a Ras Horn software or plugin into my VDJ

We has that Ras Horn in That Numark Cue And Why not VDJ

I need the Ras Horn Badly.

We All Know we re in this Christmas Season again

And with this Jams And Jams Again

Help mw hav more stuffs for this season

And give me how to play musics according to.....

Like how to rage them,BPMs,Great songs

Howwwwww !!

Posté Wed 23 Dec 09 @ 12:50 pm
hi there folks.....i do really appreciate your mix lesson...nice job...Thanks

Posté Sun 03 Jan 10 @ 9:12 am
DOUBLE O (QUOTE)

WOW this is so true and the best post I have read Double O, it is at the point that I feel way to many Dj over mix, people on the dance at times have this zombie look trying to find out what the Dj is going to play. A lot of people have a drink before they get to the club then drink at the club......do you realy think they care or remember how good or bad how the Dj was mixing but the one thing that dose matter was the DJ playing the right music........good mixing vs good music......round 1.

Posté Sat 09 Jan 10 @ 1:00 am
67%