What can I do to improve my Mac's performance?
Skipping, stuttering and other sound break-up/glitches are caused by performance issues with your computer and/or incorrect configuration in VirtualDJ.
Common causes are:
- OS X permission issues. If these are incorrect, then this can cause applications to not function correctly and other unexpected problems. Please see http://guides.macrumors.com/Repairing_Permissions for instructions.
- Computer that is not powerful enough or does not have sufficient memory (RAM) - The recommended requirements can be found on the following page (Ideally your computer should exceed these): http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Minimum%20system%20requirements.html
- Overheating - Make sure that your computer has adequate ventilation and the cooling fans are still operational and are not being blocked. Most computers will slow down the CPU when it starts to overheat, reducing performance considerably. Overheating can also cause your computer to crash or freeze. For a laptop, a DJ laptop stand is a recommended to allow all round ventilation.
- Out-of-date illegal versions of the software. If this is the case, please download and try VirtualDJ from http://virtualdj.com/download/index.html . If you like the software, and wish to use Pro features, then please support it and its future development by purchasing it: http://www.virtualdj.com/buy/index.html
- Incorrect permissions on your VirtualDJ folder (This will may also prevent VirtualDJ saving the database, so your cue points, BPM, comments, etc. are lost when you close the software.) Please see: VirtualDJ Folder Permissions
- Unnecessary software running in the background. Make sure that you do not have other unnecessary applications open at the same time as VirtualDJ that may be using excessive system resources.
- Newer MacBook Pro models have two video cards - One basic card to extend battery life and a higher performance card for better graphics performance. Make sure that the higher performance card is enabled by going to System Preferences -> Energy Saver and choosing Graphics: -> Higher Performance
- If you are using two separate sound cards, then you may experience distorted sound.