Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Can Virtualdj be the best? - Page: 5

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Don't know because I never could get them to work with 8 and yes I brought it up but like most things I mentioned just get swept under the rug 😂

Posté Tue 28 Apr 15 @ 9:09 pm
As I am a pro audio electronics engineer I always get sort of interested when user speak about "punch", "crisp" and "warm" - you hit them all beatbreaker :)
I enjoy putting up such equipment and do the A,B and C (in this case) testing between them and actually measure audio performance, bottom line.
I only have VDJ, but it sure could be easy to set up a experimental system containing all three software's of interest, use the same hardware and do some sweep, THD measurements and other normal audio performance measurements.

I have been involved in endless discussions about power amps sound warm for example. Compare to a tube amp, those are considered sounding very warm (not only because of the hot filaments glowing :) but those designs tends to introduce even harmonics to the fundamental audiofrequency.
This is actually one of the parameters that the ear and human brain recieves as a "plesant" factor in audio reproduction.

Life is not fair, a designer who puts all efforts in a design with a very low THD reading, can sound really flat and boring compared to an amp with a moderate THD number.
I have the tools for audio performance measurements and it would be nice to set up a system comparing audio between VDJ, Traktor and Serato for example.

Posté Wed 29 Apr 15 @ 1:35 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hm Mr Jackson if I controlled Atomix, I'd commission you, and a few more independent sources to do the A-B-C test.
Mind you Atomix may be "just brilliant programmers" on a very tight budget.
Even so getting you to do the test on the cheap, and see if the results are favourable is a good idea, and if so then they could commission further testing.

Posté Wed 29 Apr 15 @ 7:58 am
VirtualDJ is not meant to be audiophile. 99.9% of people who listen to the output of those softwares wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The fact it then goes through millions of configurations of amplifiers and speakers really makes all this debate about the sound quality completely pointless.

Posté Wed 29 Apr 15 @ 12:36 pm
This is something that I agree with, thank you. Next.

Posté Wed 29 Apr 15 @ 12:42 pm
Then why does Atomix brag about sound processing in 32-bit if sound does not matter ?
I agree with you, most of the people listening to us cannot make a difference between 8 or 16 bit audio, 128kB or 320kB Mp3 or whatever...
But I would not go as far saying that it's pointless to measure audio performance in an audio application "best in the world"
I am pretty much surprised that no one brings this up more often.

Why should an amp be low THD if we know people are going to play a distorted guitar through it ?

Posté Wed 29 Apr 15 @ 1:17 pm
This has been brought up many times over the years. Many times.

Posté Wed 29 Apr 15 @ 1:40 pm
Were getting negative attitudes here.
If VDJ 8's sound quality is inferior to Traktor, and Serato then we have to concede the point, and give up trying to be the best, at least until we get a further improvement in the sound engine.
However I'm of the opinion VDJ 8 has at least equality.
I might be wrong.
Put it to the test.

Posté Wed 29 Apr 15 @ 2:10 pm
It's not negative at all.

Long term forum users are sick of new users coming along asking the same questions again and again and again with exactly the same outcome.

If the sound from VDJ was bad in any way millions of people wouldn't use it.

Posté Wed 29 Apr 15 @ 2:41 pm
No negativity, just opinions. We all have options, and Virtual DJ is the best software to me. If I wanted to buy something else, I could. It does not matter what others think. If others think that the other software is better, that's OK. It does not make a difference to my bottom line, which matters to me the most.

Posté Wed 29 Apr 15 @ 2:54 pm
VDJ 8 has opened a door..what happen next I don't know, but maybe oldskool crumbles.

Posté Wed 29 Apr 15 @ 3:02 pm
The sound is not bad but I do notice a difference but as others here have said the club/bar doesn't and that's what matters.

I do believe the team has already the test your talkin about and there is a thread around somewhere.

VDJ is by FAR the best (even though I do come down on it) software I've used!! It's the only software that conforms to ME and not the other way around!

My main gripe is the lack of video effects and other video related things on the Mac side. Yes we have some really great video effects but I can only reuse the same effects so many times a night. Maybe it's because I practice with them everyday and have just gotten bored with, I don't know.

Now there are others who will NEVER think of VDJ as anything more then bedroom software and to those who cares. I just need and want more high quailty video effects.

Audio effects=on point (hoping for post fader one day but I've got that covered with my mixer)

Library management=on point

GUI=on point

Sound Quailty=on point

What's left??

If others are making fun of you for using VDJ, as AMAHM would say "phuck em"!!

This thread is a derail waiting to happen like so many others of the past 😜

Posté Wed 29 Apr 15 @ 4:04 pm
"This thread is a derail waiting to happen like so many others of the past 😜"

I suppose were being watched, and someone is looking for a weakness upon which they can jump.

My nature is to wonder around, I do try to help, and as in the past in other fields the long term hard working members tend to resent my rush of enthusiasm. It appears they have seen it all before.

Posté Wed 29 Apr 15 @ 4:22 pm
I can agree with everyone here, diplomatic as I am :)
Sorry, but I am a little "damaged" from being a pro audio engineer over the years. That's all... :)

Posté Wed 29 Apr 15 @ 4:46 pm
As the great philosophers Run DMC would say, "It's like that and that's the way it is, huh".

Posté Wed 29 Apr 15 @ 4:51 pm
I still believe that it would be interesting to compare audio performance between the different "high-end" DJ programs.
I might do a comparison some day.
I have always thought that VDJ sounds good, even from version 4 or so when I started using it.
But as a point of interest, it would be interesting to do a performance verification to it, just for us "audiophiles" :)

Posté Wed 29 Apr 15 @ 4:59 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

It's getting to the point now where the majority of the criticism is simply the regurgitation of the old stigma, what VDJ once was and what traditional DJs once feared it to be; a way for every man and his dog to be a DJ, fast forward to now and the competition/alternative options are all doing exactly the same thing with accurate bpms, sync, support for cheap controllers etc.

The main difference is just how mainstream VDJ is as a consumer product, you've all seen the free download figures, for this reason many regard it as a consumer product and nothing more, which I've argued over the years does a diservice to those paying pro customers who play in high quality venues. Where VDJ has failed (although not commercially) is in drawing a compelling distinction between the home/free version and the pro version, the first issue is that the pro version looks exactly the same as the free consumer version, and everything is judged on looks. People say "oh he's using VDJ...loser", rather than "I'm not sure what he's using I don't recognise it" yea mate it's VDJ pro edition, it looks better, has kick ass fx, and you can buy it for $300".

Someone's going to mention skins and I'm going to say they're not the answer as far as company/product image is concerned, there needs to be a new official skin for the pro version, the home skin could obviously be included as an option so everyone's a winner.

Posté Wed 29 Apr 15 @ 5:50 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
It's not negative at all.

Long term forum users are sick of new users coming along asking the same questions again and again and again with exactly the same outcome.

If the sound from VDJ was bad in any way millions of people wouldn't use it.

Some day you might learn something yourself from us new users , be patient ... :)

Posté Thu 30 Apr 15 @ 7:25 am
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
Dont forget postfader effects not only for controllers but also for external mixers...game changer

^+100

Some people don't seem to miss the Postfader fx, must just be down to individual DJ styles.

I've been using VDJ for a while and only moved to SDJ recently as my mixer wasn't supported (Rane TTM57mk2). Now it is and i'm back onto VDJ and feel a bit crippled without Postfader fx.

I feel VDJ dominates the rest in the other departments (that matter to me) just feel like that one thing missing.

Posté Tue 17 Nov 15 @ 12:03 pm
bagpuss wrote :

It's getting to the point now where the majority of the criticism is simply the regurgitation of the old stigma, what VDJ once was and what traditional DJs once feared it to be; a way for every man and his dog to be a DJ, fast forward to now and the competition/alternative options are all doing exactly the same thing with accurate bpms, sync, support for cheap controllers etc.

Well said mate.. for me VirtualDJ (or Atomix at the time) was the only gateway for me to pursue the art, i was broke so couldn't really afford any gear. This program let me do everything with my PC alone, and in a very intuitive way and for free

These days i have some nice gear, just got a ttM57mk2 which is now natively supported and find VDJ tops SDJ on everything except Postfader FX, I personally think once PostFX is intergrated VDJ will actually be the best out there (even though pro's will always attach that consumer stigma). I literally feel like VDJ is a Rolls Royce.. with no air conditioning.. it seems perfect in everyway for me, its just missing 1 thing which i rely on.

I'm pretty sure i bought Pro version with lifetime upgrades about 11 years ago.. it was like US$30.. Best money i even spent.

Thanks Atomix team for this, you've help open the door for a lot of dreamers like myself.

Posté Wed 18 Nov 15 @ 7:40 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)